Thursday, June 30, 2016

Anne of Green Gables Read Along: Final Chapters


Check out Miranda's last post for our Read Along on her blog A Real Writer's Life. I've loved re-reading Anne of Green Gables. In fact I am not ready to leave Anne so I will be reading the next book in the series. If you have read the book feel free to chime in on any of the posts that the Read Along had. Here are the final questions. 


Do you think it was wise for Anne to stay home with Marilla rather than go to college after graduating from Queen's?
Yes I think it was the only choice that Anne could have made. There was no way at this time that Marilla could have taken care of herself and Green Gables. 

Do you think Anne and the other characters changed throughout the book? If so, in what ways?
I definitely think that Marilla has changed. Her hard edge has been softened by a little red-headed girl. Anne has matured, but still maintains her active imagination. I think even Mrs. Lynde has changed in her opinion of Anne. Matthew is the only one that really never changed in his love for his little girl. He was steady and free with his affection towards her. 

If this was your second (or third, fourth, etc...) time reading Anne of Green Gables, what do you think about the book now? Was it the same as you remembered it to be?
I think it was better than I remembered it being! I've read it several times over the years, but it has been a long time since I read it last. I loved the whole story. I laughed and I cried and I cringed and I loved every bit of it!

Favorite Quotes:

"Mrs. Lynde would say, the sun will go on rising and setting whether I fail in geometry or not. That is true but not especially comforting. I think I'd rather it didn't go on if I failed!"

"But you have such dimples, said Anne, smiling affectionately into the pretty, vivacious face so near her own. Lovely dimples, like little dents in cream. I have given up all hope of dimples. My dimple-dream will never come true..."

"The real me--back here--is just the same. It won't make a bit of difference where I go or how much I change outwardly; at heart I shall always be your little Anne, who will love you and Matthew and dear Green Gables more and better every day of her life."

"We are going to be the best of friends, said Gilbert jubilantly. We were born to be good friends, Anne."

"Anne's horizons had closed in since the night she had sat there after coming home from Queen's; but if the path set before her feet was to be narrow she knew that flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it."

"God's in his heaven, all's right with the world, whispered Anne softly."

Wrap Up:

Thanks to Miranda for hosting this Read Along. It was a pleasure to re-read this timeless story once again. If you've never read Anne of Green Gables I highly recommend it! 


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! It was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to the next read-along.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.