Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Hope Undaunted by Julie Lessman

Katie O'Connor is determined to have her own way. She hates being "controlled" by anyone, especially her father. One evening when she returns home after curfew her father is determined to reign her in. Her punishment is that for the rest of the summer she cannot see her boyfriend Jack and also she must do volunteer work at the Boston Children's Aid Society. To make matters worse her childhood tormentor Cluny McGee also works at the Society.

Cluny, now Luke, was a street orphan. Katie's brother-in-law took him under his wing and showed him a better way to live. Now grown-up Luke is a lawyer working for the BCAS. When Katie comes to work for the BCAS sparks fly between she and Luke. Katie is determined to make him as miserable now as he made her when they were children. What neither count on is their attraction for each other to turn into a love that neither is free to act on.

While I fell in love with the characters and enjoyed the storyline very much I must say that I got a little frustrated while reading A Hope Undaunted. It seemed that there were too many other stories besides Katie's and Luke's going on. But the thing that frustrated me the most was the continual triangle that the characters seemed to be having. It almost seemed like the characters would never get off of the merry-go-round, that they would switch from one triangle to another and the story would never end. That being said, I still felt invested in the characters and I was hoping for the Happily Ever After that I crave...and yes, the ending delivered!

2 comments:

  1. Ive been wanting to read this one forever...:D Ive had it on my shelf for about a year now!!

    Lovely review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it on my Kindle. It had been languishing on there for quite a while! I don't know what took me so long and what made me choose it next. Maybe from seeing it on other people's blogs?

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.