Friday, January 24, 2020

Heidi Read-Along: Discussion Part 3



This week we are discussing Chapters 14-18. For all of the details check out our host Amber's post on her blog SEASONS OF HUMILITY.

Discussion format: Quotes that impressed you, general impressions and then 3 questions that Amber gives us to promote discussion.

QUOTES:

"Joy shall be ours
  In that garden blest,
  Where after storm
  We find our rest--
 I wait in peace--God's time is best."I love that Heidi sites beside the grandmother to read her old hymns and I love how it makes both of them so happy!

"for the thought that she might make it light and happy again for the grandmother gave her the greatest pleasure, greater even than being out on the sunny mountain with the flowers and goats."This just shows what a sweet and caring person Heidi is. She would rather make an older person comfortable and happy than to selfishly indulge in her own pursuits. I love this about her! To wax a bit preachish here...if we were taught the value of human life nowadays we would have less hatred in this world don't you think?

"Oh, how glad I am that God did not let me have at once all I prayed and wept for!" He allowed for the blessing to be that much sweeter by causing Heidi to have to wait for her hearts desire. And gave her time to grow her faith while being in Frankfurt. 

"And supposing one does forget Him?" said the grandfather in a low voice.

"Then everything goes wrong, for God lets us then go where we like, and when we get poor and miserable and begin to cry about it no one pities us, but they say, You ran away from God, and so God, who could have helped you, left you to yourself." I love that Heidi is able to explain this to the grandfather and cause him to think and even change his behavior and attitude. Such beautiful lessons about God throughout this whole story!

"Grandfather, you look nicer and nicer to-day,I never saw you quite like that before."

"Do you think so?" he answered with a smile. "Well, yes, Heidi, I am happier to-day than I deserve, happier than I had thought possible; it is good to be at peace with God and man! God was good to me when He sent you to my hut." I love how transformed grandfather was once he made peace with God and man. And I love that He used Heidi to soften his heart!

"Peter had sent a good many unfriendly glances towards the doctor on the way up, which might have quite alarmed the latter if he had happened to notice them, which, fortunately, he did not." Ah, poor Peter. He just wanted to have his little friend to himself. He hasn't yet learned the lesson of selfishness. Such a jealous little guy! And all of his efforts not even noticed! ha! 

"When you do not know what more to do you must go and tell everything to God," answered Heidi with decision."I love how once again..."out of the mouths of babes" comes such wisdom!

"But all at once he jumped up and ran back to the spot where he had stood before, and there held up his open hands as a sign that he had no longer any wish to use them as fists, and kept them up until he felt he had made amends for his past conduct. Then he rushed back and sat down to the double enjoyment of a clear conscience and an unusually satisfying meal." So Peter does have a conscience at least and repented of his behavior behind the doctors back! This made me chuckle, but also I thought it was rather sweet that his conscious smote him and he had to make it right before he could enjoy his large meal!

"Good, then understand this: next time you let your sleigh carry you past the school when you ought to be inside at your lessons, come on to me afterwards and receive what you deserve." Ooops! Peter sure set himself up for this rebuke! I loved the way the Alm-Uncle set him straight and taught him a lesson. And one of Peter's own choosing by having Peter come up with the punishment, "And if a boy behaved like these unruly goats, and he got a beating for it, what would you say then?" "Serve him right," was the answer. Uh oh Peter!!! 

"She pushed the potatoes and toasted cheese which still stood on her plate towards him while Uncle was filling his plate from the other side, so that he had quite a pile of food in front of him, but he attacked it without any lack of courage." This made me laugh! Peter definitely is always thinking about filling his tummy!

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS:

I love the transformation of grandfather. And I love how the townsfolk accepted the changed man. I love that Heidi had such an influence on all of those around her. She seemed to know that the doctor needed to have renewed interest in life and a renewed outlook on life. I love that even he went away feeling refreshed and renewed and his sorrow softened just a bit. We can also see a bit of Heidi's influence on Peter in how even he recognized his need to repent his behavior and make it right before he enjoyed his meal. I'm loving this story more and more as we go along and I'm sad that next week is the last of the book. It is always nice to step back and read a sweet story that even though it has some heavy times there is always an underlying message of hope and love and innocence.

QUESTIONS:

1. Which scene in this section made you the most happy when you read it? I think all of the scenes between Heidi and the doctor. He was so low when he got to the mountain and Heidi was able to refresh his soul and spirit.

2. In what way has one of the characters inspired you? I would say Heidi, her faith is so strong for one so young, but it has been tested and proven and so she is now going to show others how that faith can carry a person through the bad and the good. 

3. How would you feel about living in the "mansion" in Dorfli where Heidi and her grandfather spend the winter?While reading that all I could think of was how drafty and cold it would be! I imagine the grandfather kept their room warm and cozy, but still I just think being so cold all of the time would not be very nice. Now if it were in the summer or spring time I think it would be a great place to explore and set up little rooms to play in and pretend in. 

Are you reading along with us? Have you read HEIDI before? If so feel free to jump in on the discussion. Join us next week as we read the last chapters of the book and have our last discussion on Friday January 31.












2 comments:

  1. I love everything that you said about Heidi! Her goodness is so inspiring. The world would be a better place if we thought of other's needs before our own.

    Peter. XD His antics made me laugh quite a lot! I do hope to see him grow just like he realized that shaking his fists in anger was wrong. But I thought that it was interesting to see him react in that way instead of actually yelling at the doctor.

    Ack! How are we almost done with this already? Looking forward to your next thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree how lovely and wonderful it is that Heidi reads the hymns to the grandmother, and they both get so much joy out of that time together!

    The grandfather's repentance/transformation truly is awesome! And I totally agree that it's been such a treat to read a story that, throughout the pages, is filled with so much innocence and love. :)

    Oh, Peter... What a character, for sure! I agree with you and MovieCritic, that it would be nice to see him grow more. I'm partway through the last section of reading and still hoping for evidence of more change... But like you and MovieCritic pointed out, his scenes are pretty amusing! ;)

    You're probably quite right that Heidi and her grandfather's living situation for the winter would be a lot more fun and comfortable in the warmer months--when they're back up on the mountain! I'm not sure I would enjoy the drafts either. ;)

    Another great post, Julie!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.