Friday, January 10, 2020

Heidi Read-Along: Discussion 1




Today is our first discussion for the Heidi read-along. Head on over to Amber's blog SEASONS OF HUMILITY to check out all of the details for the read-along. Today we are discussing chapters 1-8.

The format for each week is favorite quotes, general impressions and 3 questions that Amber asks to promote discussion.

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"The child stay up there with Alm-Uncle! You must be out of your senses, Dete! How can you think of such a thing! The old man, however, will soon send you and your proposal packing off home again!" Oh my goodness! Do not even get me started on Dete! What an awful person! Not just for dumping Heidi on an old man, but then coming back and dragging her away from him after she was settled! Awful! 

"I don't want any clothes," said the child, not showing any sign of repentance for her past deed." I love how Heidi freed herself of all of her clothing except her underclothes and frolicked around so carefree. Dete's response was awful as we expect! She called her a "good-for-nothing little thing" what an awful thing for an adult to call a child! She just makes me angrier and angrier and also happy that the Alm-Uncle was so accepting of Heidi.

"Uncle's hut stood on a projection of the rock, exposed indeed to the winds, but where every ray of sun could rest upon it." I love how it wasn't a dark and foreboding place to be, but I pictured it filled with every ounce of sunlight possible from each day. I bet that helped through the long winter months! 

"Because I want to go about like the goats with their thin light legs."I love Heidi's explanation of why she packed her clothes away in the back of the cupboard! It seems the little girl has been long oppressed and is in need of some freedom for her little soul.

"And everything that she saw was a fresh source of pleasure to her." I love her curiosity, her willingness to jump in and help the grandfather set the table, their putting her little bed together(straw) and she had delight in everything she did!

"so he carried her warm and safe in his arms."I love how the grandfather cared for her. Especially bundling her up to take for a visit to Peter's grandmother. No chance of her catching cold or being frozen. 

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS: 

I love the beginning of the story. But once Dete comes back and takes Heidi away it slows down a bit. Even with the antics that happen. The kittens crack me up! Sebastian snickering behind closed doors and even instigating some frivolity makes me laugh, but I miss the Alm-Uncle and I feel sorry for him and Peter's grandmother. Since I have read the book I remember a bit of what is going to happen, but still I miss Heidi's life in the Alps. She has the ability to make people love her so that is a good thing, but still to be yanked around so much has to be hard on a child. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next chapters.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

1. Which character ended up surprising you most in these first eight chapters?

Sebastian! I thought he was going to be a stick-in-the-mud, but he really has a sense of humor.


2. Do you think you would enjoy living the way Heidi's grandfather does? What would you like or dislike about that kind of life and home?Only until winter! I do not like being trapped inside when it snows and so can't imagine going months on end being stuck up there. I would hate to have to hike the mountains, but I think they would be beautiful. I wouldn't mind being away from all of the gossipy old crones in town for sure!!!


3. Which scene have you found most touching so far? Most amusing?I think the grandfather helping Heidi make up her loft bed was very touching. The street urchin coming in and playing his hand organ and such had me laughing along with Sebastian! Sneaky guy! ha! 


Have you read HEIDI? I really enjoyed it when I was young and am enjoying it as an adult. If you have read it, or are reading it with us feel free to jump in on the discussion, share your own blog post about it or comment in the comments section. Would love to hear your thoughts.






4 comments:

  1. So glad you're enjoying re-reading this as an adult! I'm really enjoying it too; it's such an interesting story, and Heidi is such a cute character. :) I love how she embraces her freedom on the mountain too, and her grandfather seems so good about making sure she's warm, safe, and well-fed while still letting her make her own choices, grow/learn, and have fun being a child. It's very sweet!!

    I'm really not a fan of Aunt Dete's character either. :( She's so unkind to poor Heidi! It feels like her only sense of remorse comes from what she feels her "duty" is and what others think, rather than in how she treats Heidi. So sad!

    I love Sebastian's sense of humor too, and I agree with you about life on the mountain. The snow would be beautiful, but winter would feel SO LONG up there! I did really love Heidi's view as a child of the alpenglow on the mountains, when they turn red. I loved seeing that glow from a distance when we lived in Montana; so beautiful!

    As always, it's wonderful to read your thoughts, and I'm so glad you're participating in this read-along! :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting again Amber! It is always fun to see what others think about a book.

      Delete
  2. Dete frustrates me to no end! I guess it shows how Heidi was used to being treated like that, so being loved by people (the Alm-Uncle, the Grandmother, and even Peter in his own way) was something new and that is why she never forgets any of them.

    Yours and my reasons for living like the Alm-Uncle are the opposite! I am a bit crazy when it comes to snow.

    I'm glad to be doing another read-along with you, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by MC! I'm loving re-reading this story! Ha ha about you loving snow! I always feel trapped by the snow. I think because if people do get out and drive they drive so stupid they cause accidents! So scary! If I can stay in and enjoy the snow from inside of my home I'm perfectly content with it. It is beautiful no doubt! Thanks so much for stopping by! I always enjoy our read-alongs!

      Delete

Comments will appear after approval.