Friday, January 17, 2020

Heidi Read-Along: Discussion 2


This week we are discussing chapters 9-13. Check out our host Amber's post on her blog SEASONS OF HUMILITY for all of the details about the read-along.

Format: Quotes that we like, general thoughts about the chapters, and 3 questions that Amber asks to promote discussion.

QUOTES:

"Still I think even a Swiss child would have to touch the earth if she wanted to go anywhere," remarked Herr Sesemann, "otherwise they would have been given wings instead of feet." This made me laugh a bit. Poor Fraulein Rottenmeier is trying to get rid of Heidi by claiming she is otherworldly and Herr Sesemann thwarts her at every turn! I don't know why she took a dislike to Heidi, but she is not a very nice person.

"Fraulein Rottenmeier went about surveying everything, very upright and dignified, as if to show that though a rival power was expected, her own authority was not going to be extinguished." Oh how she did hate it when her kingdom was upset! 

"Never mind! when I am with the children I am always grandmamma; you won't forget that name, will you?" First off I loved this grandmamma! She took to Heidi right away and treated poor Heidi's little love-starved heart with kindness and gentleness. On a different note...my daughters called my Mother-in-law "Grandmama" She said she had always wanted to be a Grandmama and so a Grandmama she would be! 

"That is the reason, Heidi, that you are so unhappy, because you know no one who can help you. Think what a comfort it is when the heart is heavy with grief to be able at any moment to go and tell everything to God, and pray Him for the help that not one else can give us. And He can help us and give us everything that will make us happy again." I loved how the Grandmamma helped restore Heidi's faith, and also gave her encouragement and a way to have an outlet for her loneliness. 

Two things coming together may produce a happy result, as for instance, a fresh zeal for learning and a new method of teaching, and neither does any harm." I love this "put-down" from the grandmamma to the tutor. It sounds like Herr Sesemann's household and those he hires are all bent on doing as little as possible. Plus some people lack imagination...they do it one way and one way only, and heaven forbid they deviate! ha!

"Yes, Heidi shall have what she asks for, but not until the right time comes, so that she may be quite happy. If I do what she wants now, and then one day she sees that it would have been better for her not to have had her own way, she will cry and say, 'If only God had not given me what I asked for! it is not so good as I expected!' And while God is watching over you, and looking to see if you will trust Him and go on praying to Him every day, and turn to Him for everything you want, you run away and leave off saying your prayers, and forget all about Him. And when God no longer hears the voice of one He knew among those who pray to Him, He lets that person go his own way, that he may learn how foolish he is. And then this one gets into trouble, and cries, 'Save me, God, for there is none other to help me,' and God says, 'Why did you go from Me; I could not help you when you ran away.' And you would not like to grieve God, would you Heidi, when He only wants to be kind to you? So will you not go and ask Him to forgive, you, and continue to pray and to trust HIm, for you may be sure that He will make everything right and happy for you, and then you will be glad and lighthearted again." Whew! That's long, I know! But I just love the way Grandmamma is always pointing out spiritual truth to Heidi and trying to instill in her the need to be close to God. 

"There had never been a ghost in the hosue since she had known it, and if there was one now it must be a live one, with which Rottenmeier ought to be able to deal; if not she had better send for the watchman to help her." I love this response from the grandmamma to Rottenmeier after Rottenmeier wrote her about the "ghost" hahahha!

"and it seemed to her that to take back the child to him, after having left it with him once and then taken it away again, was not a safe or wise thing for her to do. Oh Dete...how I despise that woman! First off, "it" referring to the child! Good grief! She is a her, not an it! And I knew she would weasel out of taking her back somehow! She's all about taking care of herself!

"Yes, that was it! and you are a coward, and you may tell John he is the same, and the whole household a pack of idiots." I totally agree with Herr Sesemann's assessment of his household! All afraid of a "ghost" ha! 

"But Heidi did not stir; she had no need now to wander about, for the great burning longing of her heart was satisfied; she had seen the high mountains and rocks alight in the evening glow, she had heard the wind in the fir trees, she was at home again on the mountain." I loved the closing of chapter 13! Heidi home again with her grandfather. Her little hearts desire was fulfilled and it was so sweet! I loved her homecoming! Going in to see the grandmother and presenting her the rolls, but bringing the grandmother the most sweetest gift of all~herself! Her breathtaking stop up the rest of the mountain to watch the Alpenglow, and then her launching herself into the grandfathers lap to greet him...she was HOME! There is nothing like that feeling of belonging and seeing one that we love some much after a long absence. Love, love love chapter 13! 

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS:

Such frustration with the Susemann household! I understand they needed a companion for Clara, but to the detriment of Heidi's health I thought it was a bit cruel. I was not a fan of Rottenmeier for sure, she was cruel and uncaring for Heidi. I think that the grandmamma was the only one that understood Heidi and yet she too disappointed me in that she knew Heidi was miserable but yet she didn't try to change the situation for her. I like all of the lessons of faith that she taught Heidi, but I think there were more ways she could have helped her. The whole ghost situation was totally funny! Amazing what a bit of mystery and gossip can do for people! ha! Heidi's homecoming was just what I hoped it would be!I loved her reunion with all of her "friends" on the mountain. Looking forward to seeing what happens next in her little life.

QUESTIONS:

1.  What struck you most from the grandmamma's(Frau Sesemann's) interaction with Heidi?

I think I answered that in my quotes section. I think that I really liked her spiritual lessons, but I also think she could have done more for Heidi in her homesickness.

2. Do you think Heidi could have learned to thrive in the Sesemann house over time, or do you think she truly needed to go back to the Alm in order to be healthy and happy again."

At the rate that Heidi was going I think she would have gotten sick so I think it was a must for her to go back to her mountain. 

3. What was your favorite part about Heidi's return home?

Running and throwing herself onto the grandfather's lap! I loved that greeting! The whole return was wonderful, stopping in to see the grandmother and presenting her the rolls, then stopping to watch the mountain change for the evening, and then greeting the grandfather. Such a sweet sweet homecoming!

Join us in reading next week Chapters 14-18 to see what Heidi will be up to in the next section of the story. I'm excited to continue!


2 comments:

  1. Another awesome post, Julie! That's a great point about the grandmamma; she really was so sweet to Heidi and a big help and comfort to her, and yet she might have been more attentive, more inquiring, and more tangibly helpful in seeing to Heidi's distress and homesickness. She did wonderfully in helping Heidi read and cling to faith! But I think you're right in that she could have gone even further in the relationship, encouraging Heidi to open up and seeing what was really ailing her.

    Herr Sesemann and Frau Sesemann have some great sarcastic lines, don't they? Haha!

    And I'm totally with you in loving chapter 13 and that delightful, beautiful homecoming! ♥

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm agreed with you and Amber, Herr and Frau Sesemann are amazing, but the rest of the staff are very incapable! Oh well, I too am so glad that Heidi is home. The reunion with her grandfather was so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.