Thursday, January 24, 2019

The Silver Chair: Read-Along: Discussion-2


For more information on the read-along you can head over to our host Amber's blog at SEASONS OF HUMILITY. Today we are discussing Chapters 7-11.

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"He looked at the children with curiosity. Blue faces, he said. I didn't know they were that color. Don't care about it myself. But I dare say you look quite nice to one another. Beetles fancy other beetles, they do say."

"And there's one thing about this underground work, we shan't get any rain."

"Many sink down, and few return to the sunlit lands. They say he will wake at the end of the world."

"Many have taken ship at the pale beaches, replied the Warden, "and---" "Yes, I know," interrupted Puddleglum. "And few return to the sunlit lands. You needn't say it again. You are a chap of one idea, aren't you?"

"And the worst thing about it was that you began to feel as if you had always lived on that ship, in that darkness, and to wonder whether sun and blue skies and wind and birds had not been only a dream."

"No, go back," said Puddleglum. "We may pick up some information, and we need all we can get. I am sure that Queen is a witch and an enemy. And soon those Earthmen would knock us on the head as soon as look at us. There's a stronger smell of danger and lies and magic and treason about this land that I've ever smelled before. We need to keep our eyes and ears open."

MY THOUGHTS:

I know that the quotes I chose seem a bit random. So I'll just let you know why I chose them. The first quote just amused me! I mean, seriously! "Beetles fancy other beetles, they do say." Just made me laugh! To the kids the giants looked funny, to the giants the kids looked funny. I just love the whole, "to each his own" attitude.

The second quote is Puddleglum. He stood out in this section for sure. And I loved his trying to comfort Jill as they were going to have to crawl through a small little tunnel. He was looking for the silver lining. Underground? No rain! Yay!

The third and fourth quotes go together. Puddleglum's response to the Warden repeating that saying over and over cracked me up. Yes, Puddleglum is still my favorite character! ha!

The fifth quote I chose was kind of a spiritual reminder to me. When we allow ourselves to get mired in our sin, when we wallow in it so to speak, or when we embrace it, it becomes as if we never walked in the light of Jesus before. It becomes the norm. It is a sad place to be, it is a depressing place to be.

The last quote I chose was because of Puddleglum once again. I love how much discernment he had about the witch and about the situation.

The children seem to be getting back on track with the signs that Aslan gave to Jill. And setting the Prince free was such a relief! Let's see if the last chapters of the book work out for them.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

1. Which character's journey/growth resonates with you the most so far? Do you relate more to Eustace, Jill, or Puddleglum—or perhaps Prince Rilian?

I think that I relate a little bit to all of them. I can be a mouth and jerk like Eustace. I can be afraid of everything and whine like Jill. I can be sarcastic and gloomy and dry-witted as Puddleglum and finally I can be like Prince Rilian in all of his craziness! ha!

2. Did you find yourself liking the giants at any point in these chapters, or did they seem like villains to you from the beginning?

Being only 4'9" tall I feel like I live in the land of giants most of the time! But no, I did not like the giants even though the kitchen giant seemed a jolly sort. Having read the book before I knew what they were up to from the time that the wicked queen sent them to the giants. Ack! 

3. Which moment in these chapters made you feel the most emotion, be it frustration, relief, aversion, eagerness, or happiness?

I had a very great aversion when they all went underground! Especially, like Jill, when she had to crawl in the little tunnel. I was about ready to hyperventilate with her! That is one of the reasons this was not my favorite books of the series! Ha! I hate the thought of being under all of that earth! Even though I feel like a cave-dweller the majority of the time because I don't like being outdoors, at least it is above-ground!

4. What are your first impressions after meeting Prince Rilian and seeing the role of the silver chair in the story? If you've read the book before, do you remember what you felt when you read chapter 11 and discovered the truth about the Black Knight?

Honestly I have no remembrance of my feelings when I read the series for the first time. I am happy that he is finally set free and found. 

Have you read THE SILVER CHAIR before? Have you read any of the Narnia books? What are your thoughts? What are your favorites? Jump in on the discussion either here or over on Amber's blog. Would love to hear what y'all think. Join us again next Thursday for the final discussion on chapters 12-16.


4 comments:

  1. Another great post, Julie! Those first few quotes are too funny! I think Puddleglum is a favorite for me too. Between his unintentionally humorous personality/attitude and his faithfulness to Aslan and Narnia (and his courage), he's such a great, memorable character. :)

    I really appreciate your thoughts about the fifth quote. Definitely some sobering food for thought!

    LOL to your answer for question 2! I'm 5'1", not that much taller, so I'm there with you on "the land of giants." ;)

    And yes, it's troubling to think of going that far underground!! My husband loves caves, and I think they can be really cool (literally and figuratively, haha), but I don't think I would enjoy a journey like this one! Eep!

    I just finished reading the book today, and I'm looking forward to next week's discussion! Should be interesting. :) Thank you again for participating in the read-along, friend!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Amber! I love hearing from you! Another shorty! So you definitely know about living among giants! My parents went to Carlsbad Caverns one year and they were telling me about going down in an elevator into a cave. I would have stayed above ground. There is no way they would have gotten me on that elevator. ha! I hope to finish the book this weekend so will definitely be excited to participate in next week's discussion. Isn't Puddleglum just too fun?

      Delete
  2. I love your thoughts on the fifth quote! I hadn't thought of it like that before, but it is so true! Puddleglum is definitely the best character in these chapters, and also in the next few to come. He is so great. One of the reasons I love this book is because of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by MC! I'm finding a lot of spiritual parallels in this book. Great reminders! Looking forward to seeing your thoughts on the last chapters :)

      Delete

Comments will appear after approval.