Thursday, January 17, 2019

The Silver Chair: Read-Along Discussion-1


For all of the details about the read-along go to our hostess Amber's Blog at Seasons Of Humility and check it out!

Today we discuss chapters 1-6:

FAVORITE QUOTE:

Walks after the first halt---like school mornings after break or railway journeys after changing trains---never go on as they were before.

Have you ever felt that way? So excited to start out on the adventure, but then it kind of gets old real quick! ha!

THOUGHTS:

I love Narnia! I love all of the hidden spiritual messages and meanings in the characters and the place.

Eustace has definitely grown some, but he can still be a jerk! As with all of us, there is still room for improvement in his character. This is Jill's first time into Narnia. While she understands that Aslan is important, I don't think that she quite gets how serious she needs to take the task that he has given her. Puddleglum...he cracks me up! I love him! He's so gloomy, yet I can see him using that to manipulate the kids to do what he wants. He is definitely a wet blanket, but I think he has a good heart.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

1. What do you think of Jill's first impressions of Aslan and Narnia? If you were in her shoes, how might you react to the Lion and the new world in which you arrived?

I'm glad that she had a heads up from Eustace about Narnia, otherwise she might have been totally freaked out! Talking lions? Yeah, if I was in her shoes I'd probably be running for the hills! 

2. Which scene or character has made you laugh (or smile) the most so far? What makes it (or him/her) so amusing?

Oh definitely Puddleglum! I just love his, "The sky is falling" attitude. I have no idea why, but it just amuses me. 

3. How did the recounting of Prince Rilian's disappearance make you feel? If this is your first time reading the book, do you have any theories about what happened to him and why? If you've read the book before, did you notice anything new or more impactful when rereading this scene?

This isn't my first or even my second or third reading of this book, but it has been years since I last read it. Nothing new or impactful in re-reading the Prince Rilian's disappearance. Just that foreboding feeling of knowing where he is and with whom he is with. 

4. What do you think has been Jill and Eustace's greatest challenge so far on their journey? What do you think they might struggle with in the future based on how they've already acted?

Their greatest challenge has been trying to get along with each other. But also trusting each other. Eustace has been to Narnia before so he thinks he has all of the answers. But Jill has seen Aslan already and has a mission from him that Eustace needs to trust her on. Jill's greatest challenge is to remember all of the signs that Aslan gave her. Both of them need to be more respectful of Puddleglum, I mean seriously, at one point Jill told him to, "Shut up!" That really bothered me. So not only do they need to be more respectful towards each other, but as Puddleglum is probably the adult figurehead right now they need to start listening to him and treating him more respectfully instead of acting like two childish brats. Hmmmm, no wonder I like Puddleglum best! 

Have you read the Narnia series? What are your thoughts on this installment? Honestly for me it is not my favorite book of the series, but at least it has its light-hearted moments...Puddleglum!


4 comments:

  1. Yes, Eustace and Jill definitely need to trust each other more! I enjoyed reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Heading over to your blog to check out your post :)

      Delete
  2. Great post, Julie; I always love having you participate in the read-alongs and share your fun and insightful commentary! :) It's so true that Jill was fortunate to have a heads up before going into Narnia so she wasn't *completely* taken by surprise! And I love your thoughts on both Eustace and Jill, how Eustace has experience, making him feel superior in this new world, but Jill was the one entrusted with Aslan's mission and the signs...which she needs to remember! I agree with both you and MovieCritic that these two really need to humble themselves a bit more and trust each other, realizing what each has to offer.

    Also, fun quote choice!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Amber and thanks for hosting the read-along. I'm enjoying reading The Silver Chair again and may even have to go back and read the whole series again :) Looking forward to our next discussion!

      Delete

Comments will appear after approval.