Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christian Fiction Book Club

Today we are discussing She Walks in Beauty by Siri Mitchell. Hop on over to Renee's blog at Black 'n Gold Girls Book Spot 
to join in the discussion.

Go HERE for my review of She Walks in Beauty. I really enjoyed this book while totally feeling sorry for the main character and also getting frustrated with the time period. Having to wear a corset and "catch" a rich husband while meeting all of the demands of society was quite a chore for a woman. After reading this book I was grateful for the time-period that I live in!

Here are the discussion questions that I chose to answer:


1.       Have you ever wanted to fix one of your physical attributes? Which one? Why?
When I was young I wanted to be tall and skinny. I got tired of being called “shorty” or “shrimp” or “small fry” My dream was always to be at least 5’. I never reached that dream, but as an adult I am content with my height.

Fashions through the ages have often been created on the assumption that people aren’t shaped correctly. What apparent flaws does modern fashion try to correct? What is today’s ideal standard of beauty?
I think through commercials we are told that extremely skinny is the fashion of the day. There are so many young girls battling with eating disorders and a lot of it has to do with the fashion industry. A lot of our commercials whether on TV, newspaper ads or in-store advertisements focus on outward appearance. Modesty is out and sexy or I should say “sex” sells.

Head on over to Renee's blog to link up with the discussion today! I've enjoyed being a part of the Christian Fiction Book Club this year.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your second answer. It seems like every article of clothing I come across in the store nowadays tries to make the body look as sexually attractive as possible. Shirts, pants, skirts, dress, shoes...you name it!

    As you say, modesty is 'out' and sex is 'in'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that commercials definitely send the wrong types of messages. I'm not a shopper at Victoria's Secret but when I was at the mall with my cousin she wanted to go so I went with her. I saw a cute pair of boyshorts I wanted but I was appalled that the biggest size of underwear they carried was a large. It's like they're saying if you wear an XL or have a larger cup size you don't need or deserve to wear cute undergarments. Wow.

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I hate to take my daughter shopping because the clothing out there is so sexual. She can't find a pair of shorts that come mid-thigh sometimes! Crazy!

    Renee, I agree what is up with them stopping at large? I guess I'll just have to stick with my granny panties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's up with Victoria's Secret not selling XL anymore?! I used to work there in the late 90's and they definitely had XL full coverage undies. :)

    Thanks so much for participating in the CFBC this year ladies! I'm looking for someone to pass the baton to for 2012. Let me know if you're interested, otherwise I might just put it on hiatus.

    If I don't pop in again before the holidays, have a wonderful Christmas Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I wouldn't know since I don't go looking for sexy undies at this time in my life. LOL!

    Have a great Christmas Joy! Thanks for stopping by! See you in the new year!

    It seems like the CFBC may have run its course as I didn't have much of a turnout for the last one and it looks like this one may be a low turnout also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple weeks ago, we added a digital antenna to get the free over the air channels (we don't pay for TV) and as we were flipping through the Victoria Secret Fashion Show was on. I've never watched anything like that before as I was fascinated by the angel wings of all things (never knew they had an angel theme - oh well). My Enginerd was shocked at how "sickly skinny" he thought all the models were. He said that he's pretty sure that in Europe there was a big deal about having to meet a certain BMI and be a healthy skinny, but apparently that hasn't happened here.

    I'm glad we're not back to the royals ages where it was an affluential marker to be well meaty, but I also wish we could get over the idea of being uber skinny. Body types are all different as are bone structure. I think that sure I'm a little above where I should be - but for myself I have a hormone thing - and then on top of that there's this pregnant or breast feeding situation and I'm not an athletic person. Overall I'm good now, and trying for realistic thoughts for myself - society be darned. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.