Saturday, November 9, 2019

Smoke Screen by Terri Blackstock



Brenna's husband has left her for a younger woman. Now he wants custody of their two children. Backed by his rich father, they look for anything to discount Brenna's ability to parent. Brenna is quickly spiraling downhill and it looks like her ex will get his way, but a man from her past steps in to help Brenna.

Nate is a smoke jumper and has put his life on the line more than once. When he rescues a family from a fire and is burned terribly he returns to his hometown to recuperate. Nate's father has just been pardoned by the governor after spending 14 years in prison for the death of Brenna's father. Whom he swears he didn't kill. Nate was also accused all of those years ago of setting fire to the church that Brenna's father was the pastor of. Now Nate must face the father he has always wanted to make proud and the town that has always accused him of the fire he didn't set.

I have likes and dislikes about this story. I liked Nate's character. I thought he was perfect hero material. I loved how humble he was and how he was willing to give his fellow jumpers credit for the daring rescue he performed. I loved how he stepped in to help Brenna through her problem. I loved that they had a past when they were younger and that they seem to pick up where they left off. Brenna on the other hand annoyed me. Thoroughly! I'm not a fan of hysterical/weak women and Brenna was both. Yes, it added to the drama of the story and some people really like that in a story, but for me I just wanted to slap her and tell her to buck up and fight back and quit sabotaging herself! I liked how everything was all wrapped up in the end and once again Nate was a hero.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.