Friday, October 25, 2019

Christy by Catherine Marshall: Read-Along Discussion 4


Today we are discussing chapters 19-25. For more details about the read-along check out Amber's blog Seasons of Humility

FAVORITE QUOTES AND THOUGHTS:

"David, no Christian ever has a right to sever any relationship with anybody out of anger or pique, or even injustice, no matter how much he disapproves of someone's actions. It's our place to demonstrate reconciliation--not judgment or revenge or retaliation. That's God's business not ours."Ack! If this advice were only easy to follow! And remember! 

"David, when the lines of communication are cut so that two people can't even talk, what have you gained then? All you've done is sever what may have been God's only route into a man's heart."If only David had taken Miss Alice's advice. He could definitely have been more tactful and mended that fence with Ozias. No matter what you think of a person, calling them out in front of others is never the best route to take. 

"I mean I haven't done a thing about following Miss Alice's advice on contacting Ozias."David could have taken the opportunity to mend that relationship, but he was still nursing an indignant attitude towards Ozias. As the supposed Christian and the pastor of these people David should have been slow to judge and quick to forgive and mend relationships. Instead he sparked the flame that rubbed the people wrong. Ack! He may have been right in feeling that Ozias was a lazy man, but he shouldn't have called him out in front of the other workers. It only cause bitterness and anger in Ozias rather than changing the behavior or his heart. 

"When I walked through the door, as always it was my nose that registered the first impressions. By now I could even sort out some of the specific odors--cornpone and bacon grease, half-cured animal pelts, wood smoke, snuff--and always, somewhere in the background, the smells of chickens and pigs and unwashed clothes and perspiration and urine." Oh goodness! I can so relate with Christy in this area. My nose is pretty good at picking out odors and it can be a trial to be around situations where the smells are overwhelming. 

"Miss Alice had laughed at him. "David, dear boy, haven't you watched the people's faces while they're singing? Their foot-tapping hymns are one of the few joys of their lives. Why tamper with that? They're praising God in their own way. Well---let them!"Poor David, I honestly think he loved the tradition of the church more than he loved the people he was supposed to be ministering to. And how much are we like that? We go to a church with expectations of how it should go and if it doesn't meet our expectations then we either grump about it or we move on to the next place of worship. In a way we are spoiled because there are so many choices of where we can worship. We can find the style that we like. 

"In fact, the first few times I had heard David preach, I had realized that in the pulpit he did not yet know how to speak the language of the Cove people. Since he was fresh from classes in theology, he was overly fond of words like "polemic," "exegesis," "syntax," "Christological," "Apocrypha" and that one that capped them all--"anthropomorphism." Obviously, his congregations understood little of this." Whew! Those are some words aren't they? I have to admit, in the years that I have been a Christ follower I have heard those batted around. And honestly it was usually when someone was trying to show of their knowledge of "Christian-speak" and didn't impress me. So you have a lot of book learning, how's your heart? So for David I would ask him, "How's your heart David?" Are you loving and serving the Lord for His purpose or for your own? Do you have a relationship with the Lord or do you just have a lot of fancy talk and education? 

"The doctor rose to his feet and stretched his big frame. "Christy," his voice was gently, "I did not ask you what Alice Henderson believes or for a resume of her latest talk to her Bible class. I wanted to know why Christianity is important to you, what you believe--" He went to the stove, opened the door, and tamped out his pipe. "What's your working philosophy of life?" Oh my goodness! I can so relate with Christy on this! I met my husband at 19 just the same age as Christy in the story. I was always spouting someone else's opinion or quoting some great speaker or Bible scholar I had heard. My husband always would say something to the affect of how doctor McNeill responded to Christy, "What is YOUR opinion?" I don't care about anyone else, I want to know what YOU think. So this quote touched my heart because I remember being in the exact same position. I mean after all, what does a 19-year-old sheltered girl know about life yet? 

I think in these chapters we saw even more the poverty of the Cove people and what the Mission is up against in trying to bring a better life to them. Being isolated there were few opportunities to earn money for their families. I may seem a bit harsh about David, I have to keep reminding myself that he is young too. But I honestly think that he is operating on head knowledge and tradition rather than a relationship with the Lord. I get frustrated with him for not taking Alice's advice. Here he has such a great example both in years and in experience and he thinks he has the best way. See? I'm too hard on him I know! I agreed with everything he said in his sermon on the evils of bootlegging, but tact is always the best way to handle situations like that. Nobody likes to be lambasted or hit over the head with their sins...

QUESTIONS:

1. Did this section make you want to read faster (because of the suspense) or slow down (because of the heavy topics)?I found it very hard not to continue reading beyond the chapter for the day. Even though I have read this book several times I still get wrapped up in it and can't wait to find out what happens next. 

2. Imagine yourself in one of these tense situations: hearing Uncle Bogg's story at the working, listening to David's sermon, or coming upon Prince in his sad condition. How would you respond?At Uncle Bogg's I would have been uncomfortable. I don't like confrontation no matter if it is actual face to face or couched in a story or whatever. David's sermon I would have agreed with him except if he had started yelling. I tune out when a preacher starts yelling. Poor Prince! I would have been like the kids and wanted to fan all of the flies off of him until his mane and tail grew back. Taking out our anger on an animal is cruel...they don't understand what is going on in the human world. Poor Prince!

3. If you could help the McHones in even a small way, what would you do?I honestly think that if you overdo in helping them that their pride would rear up and reject it. I think Christy teaching Opal to read and providing a place that the Cove women can see a difference in like Miss Alice's place and giving purpose to their lives outside of the squalor they live in will do more for them than just handing them stuff or going in and saying this is a better way of doing something. Loving them, gaining their trust and showing them by example are the best ways. And TIME...becoming a part of the community, investing in their lives...

Next week we will be reading Chapters 26-32. Looking forward to reading what your thoughts are!


1 comment:

  1. You make some insightful points about David! As much as you want to have compassion on his character, as there's a lot of pressure on him and he's still figuring things out, it's really sad that a pastor would be so reticent about forgiving and reaching out--and also so set on what he wants and prefers. As you note, though, he's a flawed human being like the rest of us. (We just want the leadership of the church to be seeking to follow Christ's example!)

    It's true that we tend to prefer our own styles--I know it's true for me! We're a picky people, and you're right that we're "spoiled" in having so many choices to suit our church preferences today. It's hard to know how to balance that... For example, when it comes to worship, my husband and I prefer for a church service not to be like a rock concert. I think it can be easy to cross the line into focusing too much on the worship team--and having the music so loud that it feels obnoxious. And yet, that certainly doesn't mean that loud, rock-style music can't foster an environment of worship. So, we're probably not going to settle into a huge church with a very loud worship service, but I don't want to get the mind-set that people who go to churches like that aren't "doing it right" just because that's not what I prefer! It's about the heart and each person's approach.

    Anywho, I realize I'm rambling. :) This book is having thought-provoking connections for me, like with our search for a new church since we've moved!

    I love that the scene with Dr. MacNeill touched your heart and reminded you of you and your husband when you first met. ♥

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.