Friday, October 4, 2019

Christy by Catherine Marshall: Read-Along Discussion #1



Amber over at SEASONS OF HUMILITY is hosting a read-along of CHRISTY. Check out her blog for time-line and details about the read-along. This is one of my favorite books so I am definitely looking forward to re-reading it. And I'm even looking more forward to being able to discuss it with fellow readers. It's not too late to join the discussion so grab a copy and join us!

I love Amber's simple format for discussing the book:

Discussion format: your favorite quotes, general impressions, and three questions to answer for each week's reading

FAVORITE QUOTES:

Therefore, though so much of the story really happened, I would set it down in the form of fiction. I don't know that this ever stood out to me before, because the book reads like it is "real" I never thought of it as fiction, yet fiction fits it so well too. 

And so past all those true experiences that mother would relate to me, I would walk softly into the realm of what might have been. The rest would be my imagined story...for more information and background on the author and the character the book is based on check out Amber's post on her blog for links to the "real" Christy. 

But there was something different about this wind. It was not a single note, but many notes playing up and down the scale, harmonizing at one moment, discordant the next, retreating, advancing. It caught at my nerves. And through it all, that sobbing sound. I wanted to shut it out, to flee.I loved this description of the wind!

He had the look I would have expected to find in an English yeoman of Robin Hood's time: a long slim face creased by wind and weather, a patrician nose, thin firm lips, eyes deep-set in their sockets with glints and lights in them, bushy arching eyebrows.

There was a natural dignity and an innate courtesy about this man that I instinctively liked. His speech was peppered with expressions so quaint that it was like another language: the sunball...afeard...mought. Twilight, he called "the aidge of dark," and I smiled, remembering his "blatherskite wimmin" for Mrs. Tatum and me.-I loved this description of Ben Pentland the postman. His devotion to carrying the mail was comical, yet admirable as well. And his speeches were amusing yet dignified.

Twenty minutes later a still incredulous Mrs. Tatum was telling me good-bye on her front porch. Impulsively the big woman took my face between her hands, kissed first one cheek, then the other. That's for your mother. And you let her know that I did my level best to send you home to her. Don't forget though, that I've got good broad shoulders. Just dandy cryin' posts they are, if ever ye need cryin' posts.

You're a sight on the eyes, Mrs. Tatum said approvingly. I'll bet my last sixpence they don't know what they're getting out at that mission. They've never seen the likes of you before.I love all of the characters in the story! They each have such great personalities. Mrs. Tatum runs a boarding house and took it upon herself to warn Christy of the primitive-ness of the Cove. I love her offer of her shoulders as crying posts!

My eyes kept going back to the barefooted woman who moved so quietly and with such grace to and from the kitchen bringing the family hot corn pone and coffee. her features were delicate: nose turned  up at the end ever so slightly, which gave her a piquant look. Delicately shaped lips. Hair parted in the middle, drawn back into a bun, much like that woman in the rococo frame. But the eyes of the living woman...what was it about her eyes? Wistful, that was it. I love this description of Fairlight Spencer. She is such a dignified woman and this first impression that Christy gets of her is just the beginning of their friendship. 

Sitting there, I had a strange otherworldly feeling. It was as if, in corssing the mountains with Mr. Pentland, I had crossed into another time, another century, back to the days of the American frontier. Was I still Christy Rudd Huddleston from Asheville, North Carolina-or was this somebody else? It was as if the pages of my history book had opened and by some magic, Daniel Boone might walk into this cabin any moment-or Davy Crockett-of John Sevier. But this was no storybook, this was real. My mind kept trying to grasp it. I can't even imagine how this sheltered young woman felt as she traveled outside of her parents protection into a world that was thrown back in history. Being on her own for the first time coming into the unfamiliar world of the Cove. Ack!

In a deadnin', a big tulip-poplar tree got wind-throwed. Fumped him right on the head.I love these speeches! 

GENERAL IMPRESSIONS:

I kind of gave my general impressions with my quotes. I admire Christy for wanting to go help the people in the Cove. Being a young 19 year old girl I can just imagine her ready to take on life and be away from her family for the first time. I can imagine her believing that she could take on the world and change the world. But I can also imagine how overwhelming her first impressions of the Cove were. Having to hike to the Mission, meeting the Spencer family and having her lunch with a pig at the table! Then when they bring in Mr. Allen and Dr. McNeil performs surgery on that same table! With the dirty conditions and all of the people standing so close watching! I love the descriptions of the scenery and of the people throughout the book. They definitely make both come alive. Looking forward to continuing on! It's so hard for me to not comment on things to come since I have already read the book! 

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

1. What do you think of the narrator/perspective for the prologue? Would you prefer to jump right into the story, or do you think the prologue is effective in piquing your interest?

I love the prologue, I think it gives background plus perspective on what is happening or going to happen. 
2. What are your first impressions of Christy and her goals?

I think she is young, naive, idealistic, sincere, and has a heart to serve and better people and situations.

3. If you were in the cabin when Bob Allen is brought in, how would you react? Would you lend the doctor a hand? Watch the surgery in fascination? Step out the door as fast as you could?

I'd be out of there in a hot minute!!!!

There you have it! The first discussion of this fantastic book! Have you read Christy before? How about have you seen any of the TV series? I thought it was okay, but as always, I still prefer the book and find myself saying as I watch the series, "That wasn't in the book!" Anyway, it isn't too late to catch up on the read-along and join us in discussing this book:

Join us next Friday for our second discussion! 
(Chapters 5-11)






1 comment:

  1. So fun to be discussing one of your favorite books with you, Julie! The descriptions in this book, both of the setting and of the characters, really are awesome and vivid. I like Mr. Pentland too--and Mrs. Tatum was sweet and motherly, even though I'm glad she didn't succeed in talking Christy out of her mission. :)

    I confess I've seen the TV series and am a big fan of it! ;) But then again, I saw the series before reading the book (as I've yet to finish the book but hopefully will this time around!), so I didn't have anything to really compare it with. To me, I just love the acting and the way each episode gives you something to ponder or inspire you. It's just so lovely. :) But I'm eager to enjoy the book in its own right!

    And I'm with you... As much as I like the idea of being helpful with that surgery, I don't think I would be much help at all and would be better off outside the cabin!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.