Friday, October 18, 2019

Christy by Catherine Marshall: Read-Along Discussion 3


This is our 3rd discussion. Head over to Amber's blog at Seasons Of Humility and check out all of the details for the read-along and her post with discussion questions for this 3rd week. This week we are discussing chapters 12-18.

Discussion format: your favorite quotes, general impressions, and three questions to answer for each week's reading


FAVORITE QUOTES AND THOUGHTS:

I suppose the principle was that the higher affection will always expel the lower whenever we give the higher affection sway. Amber our host also had this as a favorite quote of hers. Don't you find this true in your life? If I know someone loves me, I know they have my best interests at heart and they value me so of course I'm going to do whatever I can to please that person or live up to their expectations. I find that Christy in all of her naivity can still be pretty wise for one so young.

Case in point: "With every bit of encouragement Mountie received, each time I could tell her that she was doing better, she would try even harder.Teacher cared about her. Teacher loved her. Did she not have the buttons and the scarf to prove it?" I just love this whole part of the story about Mountie. The poor child was wallowing in poverty and despair but Christy gave her value and love and oh my, watch that child blossom!

The adults, hanging onto hatred in the name of virtue, were reaping a bitter harvest in their children. There is no doubt that the adults loved their children, but they passed on their bitterness and feuds. Not only that, they never tried to show their children a better way to live. It was sad. 

It was Little Burl, of all people, who helped me to understand that rather it was my privilege to try to like everyone, at least to make an effort to see the good in each individual. 

Teacher, Teacher, hain't it true, Teacher, that if God loves ever'body, then we'uns got to love ever'body too? I looked at the six-year-old in astonishment. Yes, Little Burl, it is true. Forever and forever and forever.

So once I shut down my privilege of disliking anyone I chose and holding myself aloof if I could manage it, greater understanding, growing compassion came to me, more love for the children and as time passed, for the older people too. Ah, if only we could all look past the faults and flaws of others and see them as individuals that God loves and that we are called to love, wouldn't the world be a whole lot better off?

She was--that was all. And her stance toward life seemed to say: God is--and that is enough. I loved this whole observation Christy had of Miss Alice. Miss Alice accepted people the way they came. Not that she compromised on the wrong, just accepted people where they were. She also accepted herself the way she was and it gave her a contentment that Christy had yet to find in her young life. 

Was the young'un a gal-baby? Aunt Polly asked. Yes, it was a gal. The girl paused a moment, her face immobile. And it's a gal yit. I choked back a laugh. I still could not tell when these people were joking. Did Lizette mean to be funny? I cracked up too! ha! 

She placed a blue-veined hand with its swollen knuckles over his hand and spoke as if to one of her grandchildren. Poor man-person! You've most fractured yer head tryin' to be wise-witted, ain't ye? 

The minute I take my leave of this wore-out flesh, that second He'll be a-waitin for me. Rest yer soul on that, son, like this old lady does. 

I loved Aunt Polly setting David straight on what happens to a person who has given their life to God goes when they die. David was making a mess of the whole thing and I loved the fact that she was secure in knowing where she would be when she took her final breath. Poor David, he is a preacher and yet has no relationship with God it appears. He hasn't studied the Bible so what is he preaching about? Morality. And who's morality? His own...

The house, it's already been a-settin' here for a hundred years. It'll be right here tomorrow. It's today I must be livin'. I loved this! Sometimes it's okay to let the housework go and to let the cares of this world drop from our shoulders in order to enjoy God's creation, spend time with family and friends and to just "be"I loved the times that Christy and Fairlight spent together. Whether they were on their own or had all of the children plus students with them they enjoyed each others company and they learned from each other. What Christy learns from Fairlight is invaluable and also special since the mountain people don't let outsiders in very easily. 

Yet which is right? Human life is short. Each of us has a limited number of years. So are we going to go through those so-few years with little time for our family and friends, and unseeing eyes for the beauties around us, concentrating on accumulating money and things when we have to leave them all behind anyway? I loved this observation of Christy's. This isn't an endorsement of being lazy and shiftless like some of the mountain people were, it is just showing that they also knew that there are more important things in life than chasing the almighty dollar. I liked this!

Books are like friends. We must treat them like friends. Oh my goodness! I so know how Christy felt as she was giving that speech! We all know that people are more important than things, but we also know that we are entrusted with things and we need to take care of the things that we have. It broke my heart to read about someone coming into the school-house and tearing all of those new books and maps up. I too could feel Christy's rage and disappointment. 

So--thee fell into a temper! So thee is human. Thank God for thy humanness.Oh my did she fall into a temper! I could just see her screeching like a banshee at Lundy and grabbing him by the hair! Tee hee! He's trouble, and more is coming! Ack!

So there are my favorite quotes, and honestly that wasn't all of them, but I decided to not use all of them. I just love all of the gems I find as I'm reading along. 

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

1. Of Christy's students, which one has left the biggest impression on you so far, whether positive or negative?

I think Mountie and Little Burl. I loved how Mountie opened up and blossomed after Christy showed her love and affection. I think Little Burl is a cutie and shows so much affection naturally. 
2. What are your thoughts on the Sewing Circle? If you were in attendance, how might you contribute to the gathering (hosting, providing snacks, reading Scripture, sharing ideas)? How might you interact with the women of the Cove?

I love the idea of the sewing circle. It gives the women an example for their own homes in a non-threatening manner. I'd contribute in all of those ways. I like to host a group of women. I have my Bible study women here for a Christmas party every year. I enjoy spoiling them. I love to bake so snacks would be right up my ally. I love to read out loud, I read to my girls well into their teens. And I'm sure I could share a few ideas with them ;)


3. Which character's attitude and perspective has inspired you the most so far in the book?

I love Fairlight's attitude and perspective on life being short we need to take time out to enjoy it now and then. I love Miss Alice's ability to accept people where they are at. I love Christy's fire and love for the children. I loved Aunt Polly with her faith and her ability to set David straight. 

There you go everyone. Have you read CHRISTY? Has anything piqued your interest in reading these posts that may get you to read this book? Join us next week as we discuss Chapters 19-25.










3 comments:

  1. So many great quotes in this section! As you said, there are lots of gems. :) You have some wonderful observations about the way love and kindness affected Mountie, how secure Aunt Polly was in her faith and future, and how fortunate Christy is to have a friend like Fairlight.

    Little Burl is definitely a little cutie! And your contribution to the Sewing Circle would be so lovely. I'd enjoy trying out your baked treats and spending time with you and the other women. :)

    Also, I love that you've found things to admire in four of the female characters and how you summed that up!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Amber! Wouldn't it be fun if we could virtually have a sewing circle? Where we could enjoy sitting by a fire and chatting while we sew or craft. Where we could smell the lovely scent of fresh-baked goods and coffee or whatever your "poison" is(love the smell, but hate the taste!). I love that we have the internet to connect us. Thanks again for hosting the read-along, I'm enjoying it.

      Delete
  2. There are so many amazing quotes in these chapters! I love all of the ones that you picked.

    That's true about Aunt Polly correcting David! He has a good heart, and works hard, but it feels like he is just teaching exactly what he was taught and we never see him expressing his own love for God.

    Fairlight's enjoyment of life is so inspiring! She makes you pay attention to little details and appreciate things.

    Your Christmas party sounds great! I enjoyed reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.