Friday, May 18, 2018

Sense & Sensibility: Discussion II

Today is part II of our discussion of Sense and Sensibility. To see all of the details head over to our host Amber's blog Seasons of Humility. If you have read S&S or are reading it feel free to join in on our discussion.

Thoughts for this week:

First off, Elinor is much more patient and kind than I would ever be! Each time she gets together with Lucy I want to roll my eyes and make a face! Is Lucy clueless to what Edward meant to Elinor or is she fully aware and rubbing her nose in it that she and Edward are engaged? I just want to slap her! And what the heck is up with Edward? He obviously had feelings for Elinor, but is engaged to Lucy? Good grief! I guess it could be admirable that he wants to honor his original engagement to Lucy, but it is obvious he has no feelings for her. Moving on to Marianne...does nobody see that she is pining away? Grrr to Willoughby! What an awful man! I do love how Marianne and Elinor are so close. Each one wanting to protect the other and stand up for the other. Marianne is still a bit impulsive in her outbursts, but she does feel things so deeply that her passion cannot be suppressed. Colonel Brandon is still in love with her for sure and will play a bigger part in the last section of the book...I hope! Mr. Dashwood and his wife Fanny are odious human beings! I guess I can't blame John Dashwood too much, but he does allow his wife to have too much influence over him. Ugh! They sure get the tables turned on them! Looking forward to seeing how it all wraps up...

Quotes I liked:

"When Sir John called at the cottage one morning, to beg, in the name of charity, that they would all dine with Lady Middleton that day, as he was obliged to attend the club at Exeter, and she would otherwise be quite alone, except her mother and the two Miss Steeles." Then a few paragraphs later,

"The young ladies went, and Lady Middleton was happily preserved from the frightful solitude which had threatened her." Oh my goodness! This made me laugh because it shows once again Jane Austen's humor.

"Even Lady Middleton took the trouble of being delighted, which was putting herself rather out of her way." Oh Lady Middleton...

"Elinor, who knew that such grief, shocking as it was to witness it, must have its course." I love that Elinor had this understanding of human nature. It is better to "let it all out" sometimes in order to be able to move on.

"so far from the common decorum of a gentleman, as to send a letter so impudently cruel"

Willoughby's letter to Marianne was awful! No remorse for how he treated her, and to handle it so callously...Ugh! 

"She then went away, walking on tiptoe out of the room, as if she supposed her young friend's affliction could be increased by noise." Oh Mrs. Jennings! She is well-meaning, but truly clueless

"At last the affair was decided. The ivory, the gold, and the pearls, all received their appointment, and the gentleman having named the last day on which his existence could be continued without the possession of the toothpick-case, drew on his gloves with leisurely care, and bestowing another glance on the Miss Dashwoods, but such a one as seemed rather to demand than express admiration, walked off with a happy air of real conceit and affected indifference." Oh my goodness...the oldest Ferrar's brother takes after his sister! 

"But that was not enough; for when people are determined on a mode of conduct which they know to be wrong, they feel injured by the expectation of any thing better from them." TRUTH!

Questions from Amber's Blog:

1. Which hero holds the most appeal for you so far, Edward or Colonel Brandon? What draws you to his character?

At this point in time I'm going to say Colonel Brandon. He is the only constant so far it seems. Edward seems to be in a situation he doesn't know how to get out of and so I just have no patience for him, he is seeming weak to me. 

2. Which scene in Volume II tugged on your emotions the most, either positively or negatively? (Was it Willoughby's letter? Colonel Brandon's revelation? Edward's arrival? Or some other moment?)

I'm honestly not connecting with these characters. But Willoughby's letter irritated me, Colonel Brandon's revelation was nice, but nothing that brought any emotions. And Edward's arrival was just frustrating with all of the Lucy mess...

3. Imagine yourself in Elinor's shoes for this trip to London. Do you think you would have responded the same or differently to Marianne's situation and Lucy's company?I definitely would have put on a good front so yes, I would probably behave just like Elinor, but add a few snide remarks under my breath! ha! 

Join us next week for our final discussion!


4 comments:

  1. I could never be as patient as Elinor! Good post, Julie! Hard to believe we're almost through with the book. My post: http://arealwriterslife.blogspot.com/2018/05/sense-and-sensibility-read-along-vol-ii.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have a bit of both Elinor and Marianne in me. I can be quiet and mourn internally like Elinor when needed, but I can also find myself filled with passionate indignation like Marianne and stand up for someone when I feel they are being mis-treated. Especially one of my children! I've finished the book, so I'm looking forward to the last discussion :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. It's easy to get impatient with these characters, isn't it? What a cast! ;)

    I feel like it's becoming clear that Lucy at least knows something of Elinor and Edward... She seems to be baiting Elinor and is super passive-aggressive at the arrival of Elinor and Marianne in town. Ugh! I understand her feeling insecure, but like Elinor thinks, it would all be so much easier if she could be assured of Lucy actually caring for Edward and not just herself. If the ending in the movie is accurate to the book, I'm so ready to see the conclusion to Lucy's involvement in the story!

    On a lighter note, I love the second quote you shared. ;) It's just too funny! Poor Lady Middleton must be saved from such a fate! LOL

    As always, so fun to read your thoughts, Julie! Thank you for participating in our second discussion!

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy is just plain rude. I think that Fanny is more rude and mean though. I don't like either one of them! I still love finding those little tongue in cheek quotes that make me laugh. They are always so subtle yet funny! Thanks for stopping by and I'm definitely looking forward to our last discussion even though it is a bit sad that we are finished with all of Jane Austen's works. What's next? It is so fun to read with you gals!

      Delete

Comments will appear after approval.