Friday, May 25, 2018

Sense and Sensibility Final Discussion


This is the final discussion for Sense and Sensibility hosted by Amber on Seasons of Humility. Check out her blog for all of the information. If you have read the book feel free to hop in on the discussion.

My Thoughts On This Last Section:

Willoughby is still a jerk, I have no patience for Elinor feeling sorry for him! I can't stand John and Fanny Dashwood! Once again, what makes people want to keep their thumb on others and not wish someone good out of the pure pleasure of thinking themselves better than someone? I definitely don't think John has any jealousy towards his sisters, but he is led around and easily swayed by a wife that he refuses to check. I think he is a weak man! Can you tell that these characters were not my favorites? Lucy...don't even get me started. Gold-digging trollop! I still think that Colonel Brandon is too old for Marianne, but those big age gaps were quite common in those days so I guess no big deal. I love that there was something from their first meeting that drew him to her and his infatuation never waivered after that. I do think that it seemed like everything was tidily settled at the end, but I kind of like that. I like knowing that the characters I have come to like in a book all get their "Happily Ever After" in the end.

Quotes and Things That Caught My Attention:

"Fanny is in her own room, I suppose, said he:-I will go to her presently, for I am sure she will not have the least objection in the world to seeing you.-Very far from it, indeed. Now especially there cannot be but however, you and Marianne were always great favourites." How blind John is to his wife's desires and cattiness. And then this scene cracked me up in how long it took him to finally go get Fanny. Ugh!

"Willoughby, poor Willoughby, as she now allowed herself to call him, was constantly in her thoughts; she would not but have heard his vindication for the world, and now blamed, now acquitted herself for having judged him so harshly before." Elinor has too nice of a heart. Is that possible? She is not fooled by his apologies, but yet she can still have a bit of sympathy for him. Ugh! But yet she is one of those people that can go to bed with a clear conscience. 

"There was always a something-if you remember-in Willoughby's eyes at times, which I did not like. Elinor could not remember it-but her mother, without waiting for her assent, continued." This cracked me up and reminded me of Mrs. Bennet in Pride and Prejudice, they always think they saw the flaws after the fact! LOL!

"By reading only six hours a-day, I shall gain in the course of a twelve-month a great deal of instruction which I now feel myself to want." Oh Marianne...but I loved this!

"This only need be said-that when they all sat down to table at four o'clock, about three hours after his arrival, he had secured his lady, engaged her mother's consent, and was not only in the rapturous profession of the lover, but, in the reality of reason and truth, one of the happiest of men." ahhhhhhhhh(big sigh)

"His heart was now open to Elinor, all its weaknesses, all its errors confessed, and his first boyish attachment to Lucy treated with all the philosophic dignity of twenty-four."LOL!!!

"What he might say on the subject a twelvemonth after, must be referred to the imagination of husbands and wives." Awwww, I love this, so sweet.

"Her family had of late been exceedingly fluctuating. For many years of her life she had had two sons; but the crime and annihilation of Edward a few weeks ago, had robbed her of one; the similar annihilation of Robert had left her for a fortnight without any; and now, by the resuscitation of Edward, she had one again." This made me laugh!

"Marianne could never love by halves; and her whole heart became, in time, as much devoted to her husband, as it had once been to Willoughby." I love that she got over Willoughby and was able to love Colonel Brandon with all of her heart. And also it seems that she has matured in the couple years that elapsed to become a very loving wife.

Questions Amber Asked On Her Blog:

1. What did you think of Willoughby's confession? Did it change your mind about him in any way?

It may have appeased Elinor, but to me he was just there to see if there were any options for him to continue with Marianne even though he was married. I am sure he must have had many dalliances during his marriage. So no, his confession did  not change my mind on him. Marianne was saved a very miserable life!

2. Which character ended up surprising you the most based on what we knew about them at the beginning and where they ended up by the last page?

I don't think there were any surprises since I have read the book before and seen the movie. Maybe the surprise of Lucy switching from Edward to Robert, that might have raised an eyebrow at one time. Lol!


3. Whose "happily ever after" did you most enjoy reading about? (That is, which character's story brought you the most satisfaction? It doesn't have to be about romance. :))I guess both Elinor and Marianne. Marianne more because by the last paragraph I could see a maturity had set in with her. She was still passionate about her loves, but there was a settling down and a proper focus for that passion. I still love how the sisters were so close and by the last paragraph in the book they got along well and had no coolness in their relationship or in their husbands relationship. 

Well, there you have it! The end of Sense and Sensibility has come. It wasn't my favorite Austen read, but it had its moments of Austen humor that I have come to love. We've read these 6 books together:

Pride & Prejudice
Emma
Persuasion
Northanger Abbey
Sense & Sensibility
Mansfield Park

Pride and Prejudice is still my all-time favorite. Do you have a favorite Austen read? 

Hope you enjoyed the read-along and I am definitely looking forward to the next one! 


4 comments:

  1. Great post, Julie! I wouldn't have Elinor's patience with Willoughby, either. And John and Fanny Dashwood are the worst! ❤️ quote five you chose!

    I had so much fun reading Austen with y'all! Looking forward to future read-alongs!

    My post: http://arealwriterslife.blogspot.com/2018/05/sense-and-sensibility-read-along_25.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Miranda. Sorry I'm late in responding, I've just gotten home from vacation. Three days of driving for 9-11 hours wore me out! Anyway, loved reading this with y'all as always! It is so fun to discuss these reads with others that enjoy them just as much as I do. Although this wasn't my favorite, I still enjoyed it. Looking forward to future read-alongs with you :)

      Delete
  2. LOL! It's too fun reading your thoughts on these characters. ;) And I love the quotes and scenes you picked! Marianne's goal of reading six hours a day...we should be so lucky! Haha :)

    I definitely agree that Marianne dodged a bullet, and I love the way you describe how she's changed and matured.

    Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and participating in this read-along, even while on vacation! It's always awesome to share bookish thoughts with you. :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as always for hosting the read-along Amber. I enjoyed it a lot as always. It is fun to discuss and get others' opinions and perspectives on what we read. I'm looking forward to our next read-along, and I'm definitely going to get out the movie soon :)

      Delete

Comments will appear after approval.