Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Misfit Like Me by Miranda Atchley

About the Book:

Madeline doesn't fit in at her high school. She dreads going to school each day because she is made fun of for the way she dresses. Madeline's style tends towards the goth-side. Hair dyed black, black clothing and piercings. The students misunderstand her as well as most of the teachers. Madeline isn't a very good student either because she's too intimidated to ask any questions. So Madeline just tends to float through school trying to be ignored, but yet standing out.

Madeline becomes friends with Alice and Zach who both attend church. From the beginning of their friendship both ask Madeline to come to church with them. Madeline has no desire to go to church, but when her grandmother comes for a visit Madeline takes her there. At first Madeline is confused by the messages she hears at church, but soon Madeline sees that God loves misfits like her.

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed the characters in Misfit Like Me. I felt for Madeline in her loneliness, but also admired her for being herself. I think that the author caught a lot of the teen angst that young people go through. There were deeper messages that were touched on within the story such as acceptance, hypocrisy, God's power and redemption. I thought this was a sweet yet thought-provoking story.


4 comments:

  1. Yay! Thank you so much, Julie! I'm so glad you enjoyed the book and had such nice things to say about it. I enjoyed your review! :)

    ((Hugs))

    -Miranda Atchley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked my review :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Fun! Always great to see books boasting blogging friends names. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.