Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Lethal Beauty by Lis Wiehl with April Henry

Mia Quinn is trying desperately to get a man convicted of murder. Unfortunately she has not been able to convince all 12 jurors that the man is guilty. The one holdout in the jury refuses to be moved by anything Mia says or anything the fellow jurors say. In an attempt to come up with more evidence to retry a man who may get away with murder, Mia and Charlie work side by side to prove they cannot let this killer go free.

PROS:

I'm certainly a fan of Lis Wiehl's writing. The suspense is carried out throughout the story, the subject is interesting, the characters are engaging. I really like Charlie and Mia together and am hoping that another character doesn't come between them. I like Mia's desire to see justice. Even though I like Charlie and Mia as a couple I also like the fact that the story isn't more romance than suspense/mystery.

CONS:

A certain "bad guy" always quoting Chinese proverbs was annoying. Mia's family life is still spiraling out of control. Her relying on the woman(who has cancer) and son who are living with them to babysit her 4 year old daughter and her naivety with what was going on with Gabe were unrealistic. And lastly the absurdity of a conversation that Mia had when interviewing a witness she stated that slavery wasn't real in the United States. I found it hard to believe that this woman who is supposedly one of the best lawyers around hadn't heard about human trafficking or people brought into the country and made to work off their fees for pittance. It turned into sounding more like a preaching moment to the reader, a "let me educate you" kind of thing.

For the most part Lethal Beauty kept me engaged in the story and definitely had it's moments of suspense that kept me glued to the pages. If you are a fan of mysteries and suspense then definitely pick up the Mia Quinn series. I would suggest reading them in order.

My Reviews Of The Mia Quinn Series:

A Matter of Trust
A Deadly Business


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.