Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A Matter of Trust by Lis Wiehl

Mia's husband has recently passed away. Before he died he was keeping secrets from Mia. After his death Mia is left with more bills than she can handle. Having quit work to raise her children, Mia is now going back to work as an attorney for the district attorney's office.

When she is on the phone with a co-worker and friend the unthinkable happens. Mia hears a gunshot and then her friend barely breathing. Mia leaves her son Gabe on the line to listen if Colleen says anything as Mia rushes to her house. Colleen slowly dies as Gabe is listening.

Mia's current case that she is investigating is a group of high school bullies who's threats and torment has led to a student committing suicide. When the DA asks Mia to investigate Colleen's murder she is reluctant to give up the bullying case and also reluctant to spend more time away from her kids. Mia doesn't know what else to do though in order to pay all of the bills that are coming in so she agrees to team up with Charlie from the local law enforcement office. Charlie has been married 3 times and gets on Mia's nerves but he is a good police officer even if he is a bit high-handed.

Mia and Charlie make a good team and are soon hot on the killer's trail. Mixed in with their investigation is Mia's home life that sometimes seems to be falling apart. Her son is 14 and trying to fit in to high school and her 4 year old daughter Brooke has been having screaming episodes in the middle of the night. Sometimes Mia barely feels like she is keeping her head above water. And then there is her father who seems to have had a change in his life. From being absent when Mia was a child he is now wanting to be there for her and his grandchildren. Claiming to have a changed life in Christ, Mia has a hard time trusting him from his past track record and she definitely doesn't know how she feels about his new interest in church.

I really enjoyed A MATTER OF TRUST. The mystery kept my attention along with all of Mia and Charlie's interactions together. There is a potential for a couple of romantic relationships in future novels. I believe this is the first book in the Mia Quinn Mystery series. There were a couple of times that I felt that I was missing part of the story. I felt like I was coming into the middle of something that the author thought I should already know. In my opinion it detracted a little bit from the story but I was able to catch up with what was going on eventually. Other than that, this was a solid mystery and I definitely will plan on reading the next book in the series. I reviewed The Triple Threat series by this author last year and really enjoyed those. If you like mysteries I definitely recommend A MATTER OF TRUST and The Triple Threat series.

I received my ecopy to review from Booksneeze.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.