Monday, December 21, 2020

On Reading Well by Karen Swallow Prior

 



This book was gifted to me by a young woman at my church. I totally enjoyed it even though some of it spoke above my education level! I guess the basic thought throughout is how reading fiction can affect our morality. I really got a lot of information out of the Introduction portion of the book. I'm not normally a non-fiction reader, but so many things that the author said I found myself mentally high-fiving her! A few things I highlighted in the Intro were,

"read something enjoyable. If a book is so agonizing that you avoid reading it, put it down and pick up one that brings you pleasure."

"read slowly."

"Read with pen, pencil, or highlighter in hand, marking in the book or taking notes on paper.

That last is exactly what I did throughout the entire book! So many highlights! 

The rest of the book was broken into three parts: The Cardinal Virtues, The Theological Virtues and The Heavenly Virtues. Each section focused on different works of fiction that fit the theme. I now have a list of books that I can't wait to read over the next year! 

A great book and one I totally appreciated!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.