Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sixty Acres and a Bride by Regina Jennings

Young and widowed Rosa Garner travels with her mother-in-law from Mexico to Texas to reclaim the family homestead. Owing back taxes, Rosa has no idea how they will raise enough money to keep the farm. Rosa works night and day to try and keep a roof over their heads.

Widower Weston Garner has kept to himself for several years. Knowing that he had a hand in his wife's unhappiness he is determined to remain a bachelor. Weston also feels a sense of duty to family and will help them in any way possible.

As a last ditch effort to save the homestead Rosa's mother-in-law explains the story of Ruth and Boaz from the Bible to Rosa. She asks Rosa to approach Weston in the same way, neglecting to tell Rosa the ending of the story.

When Rosa and Weston are forced to marry to save their reputation it becomes a marriage of convenience. Neither one is willing to give their heart to the other. Will they both be able to forget their pasts and build a new life together or will they be destined to live together as friends with no future?

 While I enjoyed the story it was rather predictable in parts. I enjoyed Rosa's fiery spirit. The romance shared by Rosa and Weston was what kept me turning the pages even when I knew what was coming.

 I'm counting this book towards my Why Buy The Cow reading challenge. I got this book free from Amazon. I don't think it is listed for free any longer. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.