Saturday, August 25, 2018

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows


With Europe just coming out of WWII, Juliet Ashton is looking for something to write about. She receives a letter from someone on Guernsey who belonged to The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society during the occupation. From there Juliet begins corresponding with several members of the society. Eventually she goes to Guernsey to meet the people that she has been corresponding with and not only falls in love with them, but also with Guernsey itself. Written in letter form, Juliet corresponds with several members of the society and with her editor about what happened on Guernsey during the occupation. When Juliet arrives on Guernsey she is at a loss as to how she wants to write her book, but eventually she finds her purpose and her goal and a new life for herself.

Okay, how had I not heard about this book?! My sister told me about it and said I must watch the movie. Well, I don't get Netflix so that wasn't going to happen, so she told me to get the book. I did, just to appease her! I AM SO GLAD I DID!!!! I absolutely loved this book! I fell in love with Juliet, and I definitely fell in love with all of the characters in Guernsey. Most of the time I chuckled through their antics, but the book isn't all that light-hearted. There are many stories that hurt the heart about the German's occupation. I loved how accepting the characters were of Juliet and how much she became a part of their group. This book warmed my heart and the characters will stay with me for a long while. Definitely a top favorite of books I've read this year! Now to get my hands on someone's Netflix account!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.