Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Pride & Prejudice Read-Along-Week 1


I've been waiting for this Read-Along for a long time now! If you have read my blog you have seen several times in the past that Pride and Prejudice is my absolute favorite Jane Austen book. I have several copies of P&P and debated which one I would use for this read-along. I have opted for a Kindle version that I got for free a while back. I can't find the exact copy of it now, but I find it is easier on my eyes to read on my Kindle than to try and read the small print of one of my hard copies. I've read this book several times over the years since I was a teenager. I've had several different editions of it throughout the years as well. I hope you are joining in on the Read-Along and that you go over to Amber's blog SEASONS OF HUMILITY and check out her posts as we discuss the book. Here's this week's discussion questions and my observations:

Favorite Quote:

One of the most popular quotes of all time:

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

And sorry y'all, I can never pick just one quote, especially in this book!

"You take delight in vexing me, You have no compassion for my poor nerves." "You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these last twenty years at least."

Oh my goodness I love that quote! Mr. Bennet has a sharp tongue all crouched in kindness and mildness and with perfectly gentleman-like manners!

General Impressions:

I love everything about this book! I love how it didn't take long for the entire assembly to realize that Mr. Darcy was a proud and arrogant man, but I loved Charlotte Lucas's assertion that he had every right to be proud and haughty.

"His pride, said Miss Lucas, does not offend ME so much as pride often does, because there is an excuse for it."

"This is very true, replied Elizabeth, and I could easily forgive HIS pride, if he had not mortified MINE."

I loved the fact that Mr. Bennet surprised the whole family by having gone over and introduced himself to Mr. Bingley before anyone else.

I'm having a hard time separating the movie version and the book version. So far in the book I am not seeing the obnoxiousness of Mrs. Bennet. She of course wants all of her girls to marry well just like the rest of the women in the area want. She does tend to get on Mr. Bennet's nerves it seems, but so far he seems like an indulgent father figure to her.

I'm ready for more!

Questions:

Amber has a set of 3 questions on her blog that you can either answer all 3 or pick and choose which you would like to answer.

 What do you think of the portrayals of marriage/courtship so far? Charlotte claims, "It is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life." Do you agree or disagree?

I think that Mr. Bennet is kind of swamped with women in his life and he much prefers a good book in his library without disturbances of the household. I really think he is leaving the girls in the hands of an indulgent clueless mother and that will come back and bite him in the end. 

As for Charlotte's claim I would tend to disagree. I think you should go into marriage with your eyes wide open so that you aren't broadsided by some definite character flaw. If you can't learn to deal with the flaws in your intended before you are married they are just going to become more magnified through the years of your marriage. 


It's not to late to catch up on the reading and join us! This week we will be reading chapters 7-20.









7 comments:

  1. I love Mr. Bennet. He's one of the best, if not THE best, dads in literature. So, of course I love the quotes you picked. ;-) So fun to be reading this book with you guys! I'll be posting about the first 6 chapters later this week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading your post Miranda! Thanks for stopping by! I love Mr. Bennet too, but I happen to be a pretty sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek kind of gal myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Miranda - love the quotes you chose! So many good ones to pick from already. :) And I agree about Mrs. Bennet. She does seem somewhat overdramatic, and she obviously thinks very highly of her daughters/family (meaning she's a bit "high and mighty" in conversations), but she seems fairly harmless so far. ;) Although I can also see why Mr. Bennet might get a bit annoyed at times, LOL.

    I also think you make a great point about Mr. Bennet's lack of involvement. He obviously cares about his family, and he did become acquainted with Mr. Bingley for their sake, but he seems more likely to stay out of things than to help Mrs. Bennet in the cause of finding suitable suitors for the girls. Not sure if it's because it doesn't matter as much to him, or if he doesn't really want to deal with it. Hmmm...

    Anyway, thanks so much for participating in this read-along! So fun to read your thoughts. :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Sorry this didn't get posted in a timely fashion, I didn't get notified that there were comments needing to be moderated. Ooops! I'll have to check more often. I think Mr. Bennet was disappointed with all of those girls and so he has hidden himself away from all of the silliness! ha! Poor guy! My dad had 3 girls and we were always giving him fits! My husband and I had 2 and when we had them my husband was much relieved that I would have to deal with all of the emotional/birds and bees stuff! ha! So maybe Mr. Bennet just figured since he had all girls then it was his wife's job to deal with them. He finds out though that he should have been more involved...:)

      Delete
    2. Oh, no worries! It's not your fault! I think it's because of my email's domain name; I've been getting error messages in my junk mail suggesting that the notifications to you and other bloggers aren't going through. But at least the comments are still there. :)

      Anyway, that's a great point about having all girls, haha! I bet it's difficult for the dad to fully relate. ;) Love your thoughts on this!

      ~Amber

      Delete
  4. Mr. Bennet is great. :) Those quotes are so great too, Jane Austen is a great writer!!

    I liked reading your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.