Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Pride and Prejudice Read-Along: Week 2

This is the second week of our discussion of my favorite Austen book. Check out Amber's blog at Seasons of Humility for all of the details.

Favorite Quotes:

"I admire the activity of your benevolence, observed Mary, but every impulse of feeling should be guided by reason; and, in my opinion, exertion should always be in proportion to what is required."-Mary Bennet

"He must be an oddity, I think, said she. I cannot make him out.--There is something very pompous in his style.--And what can he mean by apologising for being next in the entail?--We cannot suppose he would help it if he could.--Could he be a sensible man, sir?" -Elizabeth Bennet

"You judge very properly, said Mr. Bennet, and it is happy for you that you possess the talent of flattering with delicacy. May I ask whether these pleasing attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment, or are the result of previous study?"-Mr. Bennet

"His guilt and his descent appear by your account to be the same, said Elizabeth angrily; for I have heard you accuse him of nothing worse than of being the son of Mr. Darcy's steward, and of THAT, I can assure you, he informed me himself."-Elizabeth Bennet

"You could not make ME happy, and I am convince that I am the last woman in the world who could make you so."-Elizabeth Bennet

"An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do NOT marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you DO."-Mr. Bennet

Words that I had to look up:

Panegyric: public speech or published text in praise of someone or something.
Celerity: swiftness of movement.
Appertain: relate to; concern.

Thoughts:

Mary totally cracks me up! Hence the reason I picked that quote above! I agree with her! Why exert yourself unless it is necessary?

Mr. Collins is just gross! I mean, I cannot stand his arrogance and his pompous attitude. He really is clueless!

Oh Mr. Bennet! He and I would get along real well! I totally get his subtle sarcasm and totally love it! He makes me laugh!

Mr. Wickham is the fly in the ointment. He is charming yet I find him too flattering and since I know what his character is already I think he is a scammer and can see right through his ploy. As smart as Lizzie is I am totally surprised she doesn't see it.

Mr. Darcy, I still love him. Even though he is standoffish I just love him!

Bingley's sisters are brats and remind me of what mean girls are like in high school.

Discussion Questions:

Which quote or scene made you laugh/smile the most?

"You judge very properly, said Mr. Bennet, and it is happy for you that you possess the talent of flattering with delicacy. May I ask whether these pleasing attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment, or are the result of previous study?"-Mr. Bennet

This quote always causes me to snort-laugh!

 Mr. Darcy is often silent: in social settings, in his feelings toward Elizabeth, and in defense of his side of Wickham's story. Do you think his silence is "golden" (a wise choice), or do you think he should have been more vocal in these chapters?

I think that his demeanor would have offended no matter what he did. Should he have spoken out against Wickham? I don't think so. I think if he did he would have been stooping to Wickham's level. It is so hard to know when to call out a person in public and when to stay silent. We all know what Darcy keeping silent does to the Bennet's. 


How would you respond to Mr. Collins if he proposed to you?

Oh ewww! The answer would be a definite NO! I picture him as a booger-eating kid running around with drool on his shirt. Just bleck! And to have to listen to his speeches for the rest of my life? Oh spare me! ha

So there you go! This week's discussion. If you are reading along with us leave a link to your post or feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments. Have a great week!






4 comments:

  1. Haha! Mr. Collins is definitely good for a laugh, isn't he? ;) Great thoughts, Julie! And I'm so curious about Mr. Darcy...maybe a reread after reading the whole book would make me love him more at the beginning. :) Hmmm...

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is an exasperating character, but he does become more likable especially when he begins to open up to Lizzie. I do hope he grows on you. And I can't express it enough...YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH A MORE EXTENDED VERSION! hahahaha!

      Delete
  2. Oh my, Julie, your post made me smile! :-D Your description of Mr. Collins is hilarious! And I agree; he's just awkward!

    And the Bingley sisters ARE brats! Ugh!

    Love the quotes you chose! And I agree; Mr. Bennet is the best! I love him.

    Awesome post, Julie!

    Here's mine: https://arealwriterslife.blogspot.com/2017/10/pride-and-prejudice-read-along-week-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Miranda! I love discussing this book with people!

      Delete

Comments will appear after approval.