Sunday, January 17, 2016

Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster

Jerusha Abbott is an orphan that was raised in the John Grier Home. The home has allowed her to stay one year past the normal time that orphans can stay but she works hard for her keep. Jerusha is surprised and excited when one of the Trustee's of the home decides to send her to college. Two things he asks in return; that he remain anonymous, and that Jerusha will write to him of her progress.

The rest of the book is Jerusha's letters to her benefactor whom she has dubbed "Daddy-Long-Legs" because of the long shadow she saw of him the day he offered to pay for her college. Jerusha starts her freshman year of college full of excitement and trepidation, as the years go on we see her mature into a very intelligent, fun-loving, independent young woman.

The entire time I was reading this I had flashbacks to reading this book:

My Review

I thoroughly enjoyed both books! There is just something about a mystery benefactor setting out to make a poor orphan girl have a better life and ultimately develop a romance between the two. Ooops, that may be a bit spoiler-ish, but I think both books have their own unique characters that make them different enough to warrant reading both. I first heard about Daddy-Long-Legs in a Mother Daughter Book Club(by Heather Vogel Frederick) story and have wanted to read it ever since. Then I saw it on Amber Stokes' blog Seasons of Humility for a Top Ten post and decided I must read it NOW. Again, I was not disappointed. I enjoyed reading how Jerusha matured as time went on, and I enjoyed her letters to her benefactor, she shared everything both good and bad with him. She even shared her frustration with him being anonymous and never writing her or responding to her. A sweet story that I was totally satisfied I finally got around to reading.


1 comment:

  1. Aw, yay!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It's one of my very favorite books ever. And actually, I don't know if you knew this, but Katherine Reay loves this one too and DMK is based on it. Which just makes me love that book even more! :) Isn't Jerusha a hoot? I love her character so much. The way she looks at the world is just so unique.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.