Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Trace of Doubt by DiAnn Mills

 


Shelby is just released from spending 15 years in prison for murdering her brother-in-law. Planning to start her life all over again and live peacefully Shelby moves to Valleysburg, Texas. Right from the moment she hits town things start going wrong. When a local officer sets his mind to running Shelby off she knows life is not going to be easy. Add to that FBI Agent Denton who has made it his life work to find out where Shelby may have hidden the embezzled money that disappeared when her brother-in-law was killed, has shown up in town to hopefully see Shelby slip and find the money. Shelby just wants to live her life after she has served her time. Her family no longer want anything to do with her and now someone is determined to end her life. Shelby has a secret that she is determined to take to her grave, but revealing that secret may just save her life. 

Have you ever enjoyed the first part of a book only to have the second part of it fall apart? Unfortunately for me that is what happened in this book. I really enjoyed the first part of the book and thought it had great potential, but the second half just started going awry for me. I found the relationship between Shelby and Denton rushed and unrealistic. From the get-go I couldn't stand officer Hughes and I found that the Sheriff's lack of taking him off the force after so many instances of misbehavior very annoying and against character if he cared for law and order the way he claimed. The "who-done-it" was predictable for me and had me shaking my head that it took the characters so long to figure it out. So while there was some excitement in the story, to me there were just too many things that didn't work and too many character inconsistencies to make this an enjoyable read for me. 


**I received this book for review from Netgalley. All opinions are my own**




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.