Monday, September 21, 2020

A Shepherd Looks At Psalm 23 by W. Phillip Keller

 



This was such a good book! I loved the in-depth look at us being called the sheep of God's pasture. And the images of the Father as the Good Shepherd were heart-warming! 


Favorite Quotes:

"His ownership of me as a human being is legitimate-simply because it is He who brought me into being and now one is better able to understand or care for me." Pg. 5

"We live a most uncertain life. Any hour can bring disaster, danger, and distress from unknown quarters. Life is full of hazards. No one can tell what a day will produce in new trouble. We live either in a sense of anxiety, fear, and foreboding, or in a sense of quiet rest. Which is it?" Pg. 26

"In the Christian life it is of more than passing significance to observe that those who are often the most serene, most confident, and most able to cope with life's complexities are those who rise early each day to feed on God's Word. It is in the quiet, early hours of the morning that they are led beside the quiet, still waters where they imbibe the very life of Christ for the day." Pg. 40

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death." It does not say I die there, or stop there-but rather, "I walk through." Pg. 70

"So often it is the small, petty annoyances that ruin my repose...And so my behavior as a child of God degenerates to a most disgraceful sort of frustrated tirade." Pgs. 103, 104

"Often it is when we "get our heads together" with someone else who may not necessarily have the mind of Christ that we come away imbued with concepts that are not Christian." Pg. 107

"I realize that for the one who is truly in Christ's care, no difficulty can arise, no dilemma emerge, no seeming disaster descend on life without eventual good coming out of the chaos." Pg. 117

"Is my memory, in other people's minds, entwined with mercy and goodness, or would they rather forget me altogether? Do I deposit a blessing behind me, or am I a bane to others? Is my life a pleasure to people or a pain?" Pg. 121

There were oh so many more passages that I would have loved to quote because they spoke to me, but all I can say is, read the book! It's just 132 pages and it is so full of richness! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.