Sunday, March 3, 2019

Madam, Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart


I read this book many years ago. When I was a teen and young adult. I love Gothic romances and this was a perfect fit. My original copy is still on my bookshelf:


I love the cover so much better than the e-version that I read this time around. It speaks to the story so much better!

I have to say that I unfortunately do not remember there being so much cursing and cigarette smoking when I read this in my younger years. As primarily a Christian fiction reader and reviewer picking up a book that was once a favorite and finding so much of both was kind of disappointing. But as I thought about it I think it fit perfectly with the times it was written in. Smoking didn't have the taboo or warnings that it does now. The cursing was limited and fairly mild, but still there, and still rather like a slap in the face when I came across it. Not because I'm easily offended, but because I was not expecting it and it came across so harshly, as I think the author intended.

I read everything I could devour from Mary Stewart and Phyllis A. Whitney when I was a young adult. I loved the gothic/dark tales that they wove. Like I said, this one was my favorite and I have kept it for years.

About the Book:

Charity is on holiday in France when she stumbles into the middle of drama that has taken place long before she has come on the scene. Charity meets young David at their hotel. There is something about the boy and his dog that draws Charity. When Charity learns that David's father has supposedly murdered someone but gotten away with it she feels even more sorry for David. The stage is set, now enter the villain! Richard Byron, David's father, is now trying to find David. When Charity is approached by Richard she refuses to tell him where he can find David. Charity leads Richard on a mighty chase which totally frustrates Richard. Why did someone kill his best friend and is now after Richard? And what will Richard do when he finally catches up to Charity?

Lot's of intrigue and suspense and a bit of romance(which was way rushed and a bit far-fetched, but still entertaining). Still a story that I enjoyed reading even though it had elements that were offensive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.