Sunday, March 10, 2019

Emily Of New Moon: Read-Along: Discussion 1


Today we are discussing Chapters 1-10. For all of the information on the read-along hop on over to Amber's blog SEASONS OF HUMILITY and check out her post and thoughts on these chapters.

Favorite Quotes:

"Emily didn't know she was being pitied and didn't know what lonsomeness meant."
Emily's life was so carefree and I love that she didn't know these things at first.

"And always when the flash came to her Emily felt that life was a wonderful, mysterious thing of persistent beauty."
I love "the flash" a burst of insight, or flight of fancy, or inspiration. 

"I just made up my mind that I'd do what was right and drop a hint to prepare you."
Oh how I despised Ellen for doing this to poor Emily! There always seems to be that "someone" that feels it their duty to crush little spirits. Such a shame. While this wasn't a favorite quote of course, it was something that stood out to me that I wanted to remember.

"The first time your husband calls you "Mother" the romance of life is over."
Truer words were never spoken! I loved Emily's father telling her the story of how she got her name and this quote cracked me up a bit. No way would I consent to being called "Mother" by my husband either so I cheered Emily's mother for standing up to that!

"Perhaps they felt some compunction--for, after all, none of them were ogres and all were human, more or less.
bwahahahaha! I wonder! They were an odious group of relatives for sure!

"Aunt Elizabeth was one of those people who never do understand anything unless it is told them in plain language and hammered into their heads. And then they understand it only with their brains and not with their hearts."
Ack! So true!

"Children can be the most cruel creatures alive. They have the herd instinct of prejudice against any outsider, and they are merciless in its indulgence."
Unfortunately I don't think that children have a monopoly on this! Adults can be just as cruel.

"Why is it that the nicest things never are helthy, Father?"
Emily speaks truth here! 

"It was not for Rhoda she mourned--it was for the friendship that had been so dear to her. Rhoda had been dear and sweet on the surface at least, and Emily had found intense happiness in their companionship. Now it was gone and she could never, never love or trust anybody again. There lay the sting."
Oh so sad to put so much into a friendship and find out that the friend was not deserving of such love and loyalty. 

Thoughts:

The Murray's were horrible people! I'm at least glad that the "lot" drawn was for Emily to go to New Moon. At least there she has Aunt Laura to give her some amount of affection, even if it is on the sly.

I loved when Emily was once again able to write out her feelings and thoughts and fancy's. It is a great outlet for her bottled up emotions.

The whole school scene was just awful. Kids are cruel, and that teacher has GOT to go! Slapping a child?! Awful woman!

The biggest thing that stood out in these chapters for me was Elizabeth wanting to cut off Emily's hair. What?! Why?! I think the woman has a screw loose!! Yay for Emily standing up to her! But the last chapter left us hanging and Elizabeth gets even I'm sure. Ack!

I thought I had read EMILY OF NEW MOON before, but I am finding I am not remembering any of it so I guess I haven't. It does remind me a bit of ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, but still has a charm of its own.

Questions:

1. What did you think of Emily's life before her father passed away? What stood out to you as wonderful or sad?

I loved how carefree Emily was and the closeness that she shared with her father. I loved that he encouraged her writing and her imagination. 

2. Which of Emily's Murray relatives has made the greatest impression on you so far in either a positive or negative way? What is it that makes their character so striking?

Of course the New Moon people stand out. Cousin Jimmy is an odd duck, but at least he cares for Emily. Aunt Laura has her quiet way and manages to show Emily love and care. I'm hoping that Aunt Elizabeth will soften like Marilla did in ANNE OF GREEN GABLES, for she is pretty formidable and has odd ideas about bringing children up. 

3. Are you a cat person? What did you think of Emily's choice between Saucy Sal and Mike?

We are animal-less in our retirement age, but as our girls were growing up we had dogs and we had cats and gerbils and fish and hamsters. So I guess you could say that I like all kinds of animals. I hated the fact that Emily had to choose between the two cats. But I liked how she reasoned it out and took Saucy Sal because she knew that Ellen wouldn't treat her very well. Pretty smart kid!

4. Are you a fan of poetry like Emily? If you enjoy reading it, do you prefer blank-verse or rhyming poetry? What's your favorite poem you've read or written?

I'm a rhymer! ha! I don't get poetry. So no, I am not a fan of poetry and I always hated those sections in all of my Language Arts studies when we would get to them. So, the answer is no, I do not like poetry.

5. What are your thoughts on Emily's school experience so far? If you could step in and make changes to the system, what might you do?

Get rid of that teacher! Awful woman! Yay for Ilse! I cracked up at this quote,

"Clear out, all of you, and leave the New Moon girl alone after this," she said. "If I hear of any more meddling and sneaking I'll slit your throats, and rip out your hearts and tear your eyes out. Yes, and I'll cut off your ears and wear them pinned on my dress!"

Everyone needs a champion in their life like Ilse was for Emily! I hope they become friends! 

Have you read EMILY OF NEW MOON? Join in on the discussion if you have! I'd love to hear what you think of the story. 


4 comments:

  1. So excited to be starting another read-along with you, Julie! :) As always, it's so fun to see which quotes you choose and to read your observations on the story through that! This book feels darker, but I love that you point out the funny lines and moments. Another very interesting cast of characters!

    That line about not being called "Mother" by your husband definitely makes a great point! ;) And I agree that Elizabeth's fixation on solving Emily's troubles by cutting her hair is rather strange! Especially for that era and Elizabeth's old-fashioned ways... (At least, I would have thought Elizabeth would consider long hair more appropriate?) Sure, it might make the summer months more comfortable, but Elizabeth really is missing the big picture here!! Anywho, I'm glad she didn't go through with it either. Reminds me of how much Anne suffered when she dyed her hair in Anne of Green Gables; but that was her own choice/mistake, so I'm glad Emily didn't have to suffer for Elizabeth's choice!

    It's great to read your responses to the questions! I agree that Emily's reasoning for bringing Saucy Sal to New Moon instead of Mike was very smart and big-hearted of her. :) And I would also love to see a different teacher come to the school, someone like Miss Muriel Stacy!

    Looking forward to seeing what comes next in Emily's story and discussing it with you! :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amber for stopping by, and for hosting the read-along! I totally thought that Elizabeth wanting to cut off Emily's hair was random. Like you said, especially for the times. And yes, a Muriel Stacy is a must for this book because this teacher is cruel!

      Delete
  2. Agreed, that teacher needs to go! She is not anyone I would want to be learning from.

    Interesting that we have similar opinions about poetry! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one, so it's good to hear that I'm not alone in disliking it!

    I enjoyed reading this, and I look forward to reading your thoughts for next week, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by MC and commenting! I too thought that I was one of the few and far between that doesn't like poetry. I'm heading over to your blog to read your post!

      Delete

Comments will appear after approval.