Sunday, September 9, 2018

The Cost of Betrayal by Dee Henderson, Dani Pettrey, Lynette Eason


Betrayed by Dee Henderson

Ann and Paul Falcon from other books by Dee Henderson, are featured in this novella. Ann finds evidence that helps pardon a woman that has been in prison for murder for 6 years. They enlist the help of a friend and doctor to help Jenna re-acclimate into society. Little by little they reveal pieces of her case that helped set her free, but Jenna can't believe who they suspect as the real murderer.

I truly enjoyed reading this story...except for the ending! With this being a novella I'm wondering if we will get more in a future novella or even in a full-length book, but I definitely was disappointed. But, on to the good. I love how Dee Henderson explores the emotions of her characters, how she describes each step that Jenna went through on her road to becoming a normal citizen again. I love how she took us through Ann's process of coming to her conclusions about Jenna's case. I also love how many important people Ann and Paul know! They can get stuff done! And Jenna's doctor Greg was so calming and I would definitely love to read more about him! The ending of the story was unsatisfactory to me because I felt like there was no closure. No closure for Jenna, and no closure for the case. I felt like I was left hanging. I definitely would have liked this to have been a full-length novel and explored more of Jenna and Greg's relationship, her recovery and definitely closure with the case.

Deadly Isle by Dani Pettrey

A small island community, a hurricane, and a murderer on the loose...what more could you ask for? Tennyson Kent owns a small island, her fiance just broke off their wedding, and she just found her cousin dead. A very exciting start to this novella by Dani Pettrey.

Callen made the biggest mistake of his life years ago when he broke Teni's heart. Can he keep her alive long enough to apologize and try to win her back?

This was an exciting read right from the beginning. I think the romance between Teni and Callen was a little rushed, but since they had a prior relationship it didn't bother me too much. There were a couple of people I suspected may be the "who-done-it" including the actual "who-done-it" person. Once again, I definitely would have enjoyed this as a full-length novel. But for a novella it kept me turning the pages and my heart racing at the conclusion!

Code of Ethics by Lynette Eason

When detective Isaac Martinez is brought into the emergency room Ruthie St. John is one of the doctors on duty. With a gunshot wound to his shoulder, Isaac is rushed to surgery. Later Ruthie stops by Isaac's room to check on him and catches someone trying to kill him. Ruthie manages to call for help and the would-be killer escapes. Isaac insists on leaving the hospital and Ruthie has no other choice but to help him. Isaac doesn't know who of his fellow officers are trying to kill him, but he insists on going to find someone who has evidence to prove his claims. With lives in danger, bullets flying wherever they go will the two of them, with the help of a couple of Ruthie's brothers, be able to find the proof they need before the bad guys succeed?

Another page turner! And it was definitely fun to read about another St. John sibling! Again, I think that this could have been a full-length novel, but for a novella it was well-developed and definitely exciting. I loved both Ruthie and Isaac. Ruthie's sassiness and spitfire personality was fun to read. CODE OF ETHICS was entertaining and exciting.

Wrap up

Three exciting novellas by three wonderful authors! I highly recommend THE COST OF BETRAYAL if you love fast-paced/suspense-filled/novella-reads.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.