Sunday, July 5, 2015

William Shakespeare's The Clone Army Attacketh by Ian Doescher

I have to admit, I am rather ignorant when it comes to Shakespeare's writings. I have read a few plays, seen a few movies, studied a bit in college, but ask me what voice his plays are written in, or what iambic pentameter is or how many lines a soliloquy has and I couldn't even begin to tell you. On the other hand, ask me about any of the Star Wars movies and I can probably get by a bit better in a Q and A setting. All of that to say, I have no idea why this series by Ian Doescher cracks me up, but they do! Besides being hysterical(seriously, how can you not laugh at stuffy old C3PO talking like one of William Shakespeare's characters?),  it is extremely fun to find all of the hidden gems that the author sneaks into the writing. At the end of The Clone Army Attacketh Ian Doescher explains some of the writing style he used. As I was reading that I was still confused, but I still enjoyed the book. In fact, I enjoyed it very much. It made me laugh, and when I found a word or phrase that I recognized from someplace else it was like finding a hidden item in one of those pictures with tons of objects to sift through, kind of like an "ah ha!" moment. The tale stays true to the movie script just like the rest of the books in the series, but with a bit of a twist now and then. I enjoyed this installment very much and am looking forward to the next book in the saga! If you have read any of these books let me know what you think of them and let me know what hidden references you found in this tale.

Check out my reviews of the other books in this series:

William Shakespeare's Star Wars
William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back
William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return
William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace

**Thanks to Quirkbooks for my copy for review, all opinions are my own**


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.