Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Captive Maiden by Melanie Dickerson



In this retelling of the Cinderella story we have Gisela as the Damsel in Distress, and Valten as Prince Charming. With an evil step-mother determined to keep Gisela from being happy and an evil man bent on revenge The Captive Maiden takes many twists and turns to it's Happily Ever After ending.











As I read The Captive Maiden I kept having flashbacks to two movies:

The Captive Maiden was set during the time of Knights. With tournaments of jousting and swordplay I just couldn't help envisioning A Knight's Tale as I read. Throw in the Ever After version of Cinderella and The Captive Maiden was almost brought to life for me! I compared the villain Ruexner(which I could never figure out how to pronounce) with the villain in Ever After. As with all of Melanie Dickerson novels I enjoyed this one very much. The retelling was different enough to keep me turning the pages and the characters were endearing enough to keep me invested in their story. If you like fairytale retellings then I recommend this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.