Tuesday, March 26, 2024

To Slip the Bonds of Earth by Amanda Flower

 



We hear about Orville and Wilbur Wright, but we don't often hear about their sister Katharine. In To Slip the bonds of Earth Katharine must help her brothers find the lost plans for their flying machine. In order to do that she must solve the mystery of a murder while also navigating a very male dominated society that sets no value on a single woman, especially a strong-willed one like Katharine. 

I've really enjoyed author Amanda Flower's books. Which means I've really enjoyed her novels with "real" people in them. Her Emily Dickinson Mystery series and now this Mystery in the First Days of Flight featuring the Wright brothers and their sister Katharine. I love how the author incorporates history into the mystery that she is telling. I found the mystery in To Slip the Bonds of Earth solid and believable. I enjoyed learning a bit about Orville and Wilbur, but I especially enjoyed Katharine's character. There were a few quotes throughout the book that I found interesting or harsh or downright ticked me off! The first one is,

"Miss Wright," Randolph said, "When I want your opinion, I will ask for it. I can see why you are an old maid. No man would put up with the constant second-guessing you seem determined to inflict on everyone around you. If you do ever marry, you would surely send your unfortunate husband to an early grave." 

Ouch! I found that a bit harsh and was thinking seriously did men talk to women like that? But it truly fit in with Randolph's character!

"I could give her a whole host of reasons why Latin was an important language to learn. It helped students master English, for one."

I liked that one because I think the same can be said about reading, it helps a person get a grasp of the language and teaches them new things. I loved that teacher-side of Katharine's character. She truly cared about her students learning.

"Every woman had her secrets, including me."

I loved that last line of the book! Even though she was living in a male dominated society she was able to be herself and keep her own council. 

To Slip the Bonds of Earth was entertaining and educational and very well researched. I enjoyed it tremendously and am hoping that we will see more of Katharine and her brothers. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.