Sunday, March 24, 2019

Emily Of New Moon: Read-Along: Discussion 3


This is the 3rd discussion Chapters 18-24. Head over to our host Amber's blog at Seasons Of Humility and read her thoughts for the week. 

Favorite Quotes:

"He eats tender little Protestants sometimes, but he never meddles with leprechauns."This cracked me up about Father Cassidy's cat! 

"I'm in a scrape and I've been in it all summer. You see-Emily was very sober-I am a poetess. Holy Mike! That is serious. I don't know if I can do much for you. How long have you been that way?"It cracks me up how he played along with Emily yet also made fun of her tongue in cheek. 

"Dispensation is a hard word to work into a poem, said Emily. Undoubtedly. But young ladies who will write epic poems and who will lay the scenes thereof amid times and manners av hundreds av years ago, and will choose heroines of a religion quite unknown to them, must expect to run up against a few snags." 

"Besides the bush wasn't going to be cut down. The bringer of good news is forgiven much."

"The other day in history class Miss Brownell read that Sir Walter Raleigh had to lie in the Tower for fourteen years. Perry said, 'Wouldn't they let him get up sometimes?'Okay, this was a legitimate question...bwahahahaha! I love Perry's sense of humor!

"A certain thing happened at New Moon because Teddy Kent paid Ilse Burnley a compliment one day and Emily Starr didn't altogether like it. Empires have been overturned for the same reason."Uh oh, many a war has started over a woman I gather? 

"You can never be a real poet if you haven't made at least one poem about spring."haha, seems to be truth here.

"It has been romantic but not comfortable." When Perry's aunt proposes to Emily...eep! Poor Emily! But I love how Perry handles it even better. Although he was rude to his aunt.

"They are very sarcastic to each other. But I think they are a good bit like Ilse and me-they fight quite frequently but love each other very hard between times."I think it would be nicer if they got along better. It makes for some funny lines, but they are rather harsh on each other.


My Thoughts:

There was some humorous dialogue in these chapters. I laughed out loud at Father Cassidy's antics. Perry as always made me laugh. He probably deserved getting into trouble for his question to Miss Brownell, but she deserves it! ha! Poor Emily doesn't know what the green-eyed monster is yet, but she had a taste of it when Teddy complimented Ilse. I loved how Emily sent the picture that SHE wanted sent to Aunt Nancy. Ack! But it got her an invite to Wyther Grange, and I rather like Aunt Nancy even though she is eccentric. Looking forward to reading the last chapters of the book!

Questons:

1. What are your impressions of Father Cassidy? What do you like or not like about how he interacts with Emily?I enjoyed Father Cassidy. Loved how he was ready to pretend with Emily even if it was done in a teasing manner. I loved that he didn't take himself to seriously and that also he was willing to help Emily save the New Moon trees from Lofty John by going to Father Cassidy. 

2. If you could pick a line from these chapters that resonates with you the most—that makes you think, That's me!—what line would it be and why?I don't think anything stood out to me like this. 

3. How did you feel about the Murray Christmas gathering described in chapter 20? How is it different from or similar to some of your own family Christmases (from childhood or more recently)?The Murray's are a bunch of cranky old mean people and I really am not a fan of any of them. If my gatherings were like that I would never want to get together with my family again. They were horrid to Emily and I am so glad that Elizabeth finally took up for her!

4. What was something fashionable when you were younger that you really wanted, like Emily's desire for bangs? Have your tastes changed since then?Well, I always wanted a satin jacket but my family couldn't afford satin jackets for us. Everyone at school had one. That was a fashion thing, but when I was in elementary school I always wanted the 64 box of crayola crayons. Another thing that just wasn't on the "needs to have" list. But man I wanted those crayons! So as an adult not too long ago I went out and bought me a box! So disappointing! I seriously think they use different materials now to make crayons because they were so waxy that hardly any color stuck to the paper. Plus lots of debris stuck to the page if I pressed too hard. Sigh...

5. If you were invited to visit Wyther Grange for a while, would you want to go? What might you think of the place and its occupants?I think that if you have an imagination like Emily you can be anywhere and be happy. As far as me, I think that big of a place would scare me. And Aunt Nancy and Caroline are definitely odd ducks. I doubt that I would want to stay there.

See you next week for the conclusion of the book!







3 comments:

  1. It sounds like we liked some of the same lines and had similar thoughts about the characters in this section! :) And the way Father Cassidy talks about his very interesting cat...LOL!

    Aw, I'm so sorry that you didn't get to enjoy those crayons when you were younger and that they didn't live up to your expectations now! That's so sad. :(

    It's great to read your responses to the questions and to see how you're feeling about the way the story's progressing! Question #2 might have been too specific to my own reading experience. ;) One of the lines that stood out to me was this one in chapter 20: After we got into bed I told her a lot of things I wished afterwards I hadn't. Secrets. I feel like it can be really easy to overshare sometimes and then wish maybe I hadn't said quite so much to someone or shared something I should have kept in my heart, if that makes sense! So I could understand what Emily might have been feeling when she said that about her sleepover with Ilse.

    We should have lots to talk about when we discuss the last chapters of the book! So crazy the last discussion is almost here! Thank you for helping to make this such a fun read-along. :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! What you said about sharing secrets is totally understandable! I too have overshared and thought later that I should have kept my mouth shut(I like your way of putting it better, "I should have kept in my heart.")Sometimes people don't handle our secrets the way we would like them to, and sometimes once our secret is out there we feel that we have lost something precious to us. Good thought Amber! Thanks for sharing!

      I bought the first book individually, but then the set of three was only 1.99 so I bought them that way. Now I can't wait to read all of them! I will finish Emily of New Moon tomorrow hopefully and look forward to sharing thoughts on Sunday.

      While I love series I don't think that reading a series for a read-along would be a good thing. I like to mix it up and read different things so, I enjoyed reading and discussing EMILY OF NEW MOON, but will look forward to something different the next time we have a read-along. And I'll read all of the Emily books on my own :)

      Thanks for hosting Amber and I'll definitely be emailing to discuss the next book!

      Julie

      Delete
  2. Oh, I completely forgot about Perry's question to Ms. Brownell! I feel like I would have asked the same thing! Haha!

    I agree, I wouldn't want to be near the Murrays! I would rather be a Wyther Grange.

    Aw, I'm sorry about the crayons! I loved coloring with them when I was little, but I would always press too hard and break them! Oh well.

    As always, it was fun to read your thoughts! When I finally catch up I'll go to your last post!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.