Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Austen Escape by Katherine Reay


Mary is having issues at work. Her creativity is being stifled and things are not going well with a new gadget she has created. Isabel has been her best friend for years but their relationship has been filled with strain. When Isabel asks Mary to go on a vacation to Bath and dress in period clothing to help Isabel nail down her thesis Mary is tempted to say no. But with things going downhill at work Mary decides to take Isabel up on her offer. When Mary and Isabel arrive in Bath they embark on a voyage of self-discovery. Both women work through their own hurts and disappointments as well as misconceived ideas about situations and relationships.

Just when I would think, "okay things are going to get better, Mary's figured it out" things would go downhill again. It kind of annoyed me! I did like the romance between Nathan and Mary, but I also got frustrated with that. Isabel was a wounded soul, her father had pretty much ignored and rejected her all of her life. Her behavior made her a rather unlikable character for a while. I enjoyed the setting and the fun of reading about the characters dressing up in their favorite characters from Austen's novels. Even though I did get frustrated with Mary and Isabel's issues I enjoyed the book and was happy when everything turned out in the end.


3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this book! Sorry to see you had mixed feelings, though. At least there were elements that you did enjoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a sweet read, I'm just not over-fond of angst ridden characters that don't learn very quickly and keep rehashing the same stuff over and over. ha! But yes, there were elements that I did enjoy and what I didn't like wouldn't keep me from recommending the book. And as long as everything turned out well I am usually satisfied :)

      Delete
    2. Also I will be very interested in seeing what you think of it :)

      Delete

Comments will appear after approval.