Thursday, November 3, 2016

Emma Read-Along Discussion 4-Wrap Up


We have come to the end of the read-along. I think we all limped along to the end! For some reason this was a difficult read. Definitely not my favorite Austen book. Head over to Amber's blog at Seasons of Humility to check out her wrap-up post. Amber, thanks so much for hosting this read-along. I do look forward to another one! And I loved the use of Mrs. Stokes in this read and this quote made me laugh, "but is Mrs. Stokes to be trusted? I doubt it. I do not know her, even by sight." ha! I hope Amber that you are more trustworthy than this Mrs. Stokes appears to be! ha! As soon as I saw the name I thought of you! How fun to find ones own surname in a book.

If you have read Emma feel free to comment your thoughts on the story. I look forward to the next read-along. It is always fun to read with fellow bloggers.


Final Questions:

1. What did you think of Mr. Elton's choice in a wife? And do you believe Mrs. Elton truly cared about Jane Fairfax?

I did not like that woman AT ALL! She was rude and thought herself above her station. ha!

 2. Which scene of the story stood out to you the most? Perhaps one that made you chuckle...or one that melted your heart...or one that made you cringe with embarrassment.

I think the scene that stood out the most to me was when Mr. Elton proposed to Emma. That just cracked me up. As painful as it was for Mr. Elton, Emma's being so indignant cracked me up. ha!

 3. Were you content with the matches that were made by the end of the story? Do you think everyone ended up in the right relationships?

I still am confused about Jane and Frank Churchill's relationship. I guess I just don't get the whole deception thing, but whatever. Of course I think that Emma's match was perfect and so was Harriet's. Poor Harriet!


 4. Have you read any other Jane Austen novels? If so, which is your favorite, and how does Emma rank on your list?

Yes, I have read all of Jane Austen's novels, and my favorite is Pride and Prejudice. It has been from the first time I ever read it. Emma was hard for me to get into the first time I read it and this time it was just as hard. I don't know, maybe the long chapters threw me, or the drawn out dialogue. I just can't pinpoint it, but even though it had it's moments, there just seemed to be something lacking for me in this story. It didn't touch me like others have.

Favorite Quotes:


"Emma was not required, by any subsequent discovery, to retract her ill opinion of Mrs. Elton. her observation had been pretty correct. Such as Mrs. Elton appeared to her on this second interview, such she appeared whenever they met again, --self-important, presuming, familiar, ignorant, and ill-bred."


"She was nobody when he married her, barely the daughter of a gentleman; but ever since her being turned into a Churchill she has out-Churchill'd them all in high and mighty claims: but in herself, I assure you, she is an upstart."


"Ah! ma'am, but there may be a difficulty. Pardon me--but you will be limited as to number--only three at once." Oh, shame on you Emma for hurting this poor woman's feelings!


"and it really was too much to hope even of Harriet, that she could be in love with more than three men in one year."


Words That Interested Me:
Penury: Extreme poverty; destitution.
Gaiters: A garment similar to leggings, worn to cover or protect the ankle and lower leg.
Insuperable: impossible to overcome.
Puppyism: Referring to puppies I believe. ha! Comparing his behavior and character to puppies. Not a compliment. ha!
Tippet: A woman's long cape or scarf, typically of fur or similar material.
Connivance: Willingness to secretly allow or be involved in wrongdoing, esp. an immoral or illegal act.
Ostensible: stated or appearing to be true, but not necessarily so.
Preferment: promotion or appointment to a position or office.
Hautboy: Not sure what this word means. It is an archaic form of OBOE.
Pertinacity: Holding firmly to an opinion or a course of action-pertinacious.
Volubility: speaking or spoken incessantly and fluently-voluble.
Extenuations: Make(guilt or offense) seem less serious or more forgivable.
Palliage: Make (a disease or its symptoms) less severe or unpleasant without removing the cause.
Tautology: The saying of the same thing twice in different words, generally considered to be a fault of style.


So there it is...The end of Emma. Let me know what you thought and what is your favorite Jane Austen book.



2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Haha, yes, I hope I'm a little more trustworthy than the Mrs. Stokes in this book. ;) Hehehe. It was definitely fun coming across the name in the book! I'm touched you would think of me too. ;)

    The proposal scene with Mr. Elton IS pretty priceless! Great choice. :) It's hard to feel *completely* sorry for him, but still...he did have it pretty rough, thinking Emma was mad for him when she most definitely wasn't, LOL.

    I really need to read Pride and Prejudice, don't I? Perhaps in a future read-along... :) I really liked both Persuasion and Northanger Abbey, and I think Emma would fall behind both of those for me - probably in part due to the length and just struggling to get through it. There were things I liked a lot about the story, though!

    Thanks so much for participating in the read-along - and for being so patient with me! I hope you had a nice vacation. :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in this case I enjoyed the movie Emma, much better than the book. ha! Yes, yes you must read Pride and Prejudice. I think a future read-along is a must on that! Thanks so much for stopping by Amber!

      Delete

Comments will appear after approval.