Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Dear Mr. Knightley by Katherine Reay

Samantha Moore has a problem being herself. Shuttled from foster home to foster home Sam has sheltered her heart from pain by escaping into the world of her books. Hiding her real self in quotes from famous characters, Sam goes through life cut off from any true friendships.

When a grant opens up an opportunity for her to finish graduate school Sam is less than thrilled that the stipulations require her to enter journalism and to write regularly to her anonymous benefactor who goes by the pseudonym Mr. Knightley.

Samantha feels safe baring her soul to Mr. Knightley through her letters. The agreement being that he will remain anonymous and never write her back. We as the reader get to follow Sam's journey of self-discovery and maturity through reading her letters to Mr. Knightley.

My Thoughts:

I think that sometimes in writing my own synopsis for a book I might tend to overshare and I don't want to give anything else away in the book so I will stop with that tid-bit up there. Dear Mr. Knightley had me invested in it from the very beginning. I loved the characters. Samantha with all her prickly flaws, the young boy she befriends and becomes a running partner with and the instrument in helping Sam open up her heart(oops, oversharing again). And the mysterious Mr. Knightley whom Sam feels safe with and shares her most intimate thoughts and feelings with. All of these characters make Dear Mr. Knightley an entertaining and engaging read and one in which I will miss the characters for a while after finishing it. Even though Sam used quotes from her favorite authors to mask her insecurities I found those quotes to be entertaining and amusing and added to the charm of the read. I definitely recommend Dear Mr. Knightley.

An Aside:

While I have seen mentions of people loving the cover of this book I have to admit I'm not a fan and it almost kept me from requesting the book. To me it just looks a bit plain. But after reading the story I see the whimsy of it and am kind of drawn to it now.

I received my copy through Booksneeze.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.