Friday, November 15, 2019

Christy by Catherine Marshall: Read-Along Final Discussion




This is our final discussion on CHRISTY. Thanks so much to Amber at Seasons of Humility for hosting the read-along! I've enjoyed reading this story again and it remains as one of my all-time favorites.

QUOTES AND THOUGHTS:

"I've known a few girls in my life, Christy, but I don't believe I've ever met one as stubborn and as know-it-all as you are." Thank you. I was just thinking the same nice thoughts about you." I had to laugh at this! Both are very stubborn. ha!

"But relationships can be kept intact without compromising one's own beliefs." Oh so true! We can stand firm without losing love or respect for someone that doesn't agree with us. Love is going to win someone over long before hurtful words or actions ever will. 

"By then I was a bit wiser and had learned that there's only one way to give advice to the young: give it, and then be perfectly unconcerned as to whether they take it or not. God alone is capable of managing other people--even our own children." I don't know if I can agree with the "then be perfectly unconcerned" part of this quote, but I agree with the give advice and then let God handle it. Especially with adult children. They have to learn to make their faith their own. They have to make mistakes and grow just like we do. 

"Lord God, You are the Creator, I am the created. I am helpless, as helpless as all other men. As a doctor, I thought I knew something." I think that the doctor had a rebellious heart. He knew he was fighting the Lord, but he allowed bitterness and pride to get in his way. He was rebellious when he and Margaret got together, then resentful after Margaret died, then prideful thinking that he didn't need God and could do things on his own and then finally he was faced with not being able to help someone he loved get better. He had to turn to the Lord. I love how the Lord knows exactly what is going to bring us to Himself. 

Typhoid! Ack! These last chapters are dealing with all of the sickness in the Cove. What an exhausting disease to have to fight. I would have been so frustrated dealing with the people! They have all been affected in one way or another by this disease and yet they still would insist on drinking the same water and living in unsanitary conditions. Ignorance is not bliss in some cases!

I like Miss Alice's observation to David:

"But perhaps there was another reason, I wonder, David, if thee didn't see in the ministry the chance to tell others what to do--for a change, But it doesn't quite work out that way does it?"

At home David was always told what to do and he saw the ministry as his way to tell others what to do. A sad reason to be in ministry for sure. I really don't think David knew who he was as an individual. He was definitely searching. For a young man that has gone through seminary he had no clue who the Lord was. He had a lot of flowery speech and a certain moral code, but no clue about a relationship with the Lord. Sad...

I have always had a love hate relationship with the end of CHRISTY. I love that Christy and the doctor sort of found each other in the end, but I would have been more satisfied if we at least knew something of the "after" of that finding. Or maybe even a bit more wooing and cooing between them! I think that the book leaves out a lot of interaction between these two characters and we are only given highlights of their relationship so I definitely wouldn't have called this book a romance. I think my big take-away at the end was doctor MacNeill's yielding to the Lord. His salvation experience so to speak. That is what always touched my heart.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:

1. Which story of sickness, whether hopeful or heartbreaking, affected you the most?
Christy's because it resulted in Neill's finding faith. It made me sad to read about Lundy's murder of Tom...it showed what happens when hate is handed down from generation to generation. Bird's Eye blamed it on Lundy being stupid but Bird's Eye is the one who passed on that hate. I could PREACH a whole sermon here! Ack!

2. Were you satisfied with the conclusion of the story? If so, what did you like most about these last chapters? If not, what do you wish might have been different?

I kind of answered that in the last paragraph of my thoughts. I definitely was left with questions and a desire for more closure. 

3. What was your favorite part about Christy? Do you plan to read other books by Catherine Marshall, either fiction or nonfiction?

I love all of the character growth in Christy. I love the faith elements. Loved Miss Alice's wisdom. I even loved the characters struggle with faith issues and finding out who they are. I have read JULIE by Catherine Marshall many many years ago. I haven't read any of her nonfiction works and probably won't. If you ever want to read a story like Christy then I would suggest that you find a copy of MISS WILLIE by Janice Holt Giles. Another favorite!

I hope that you enjoyed reading about the read-along or if you participated then I hope you enjoyed my posts. Thanks again to Amber for hosting! Her read-along's always are fun!




1 comment:

  1. Your thoughts about Dr. MacNeill's faith journey are great! I like how you point out the possible progression--from rebellion to resentment to pride and finally to brokenness, the kind that leads to humility and healing. Again, great thoughts!

    I love that Christy has remained a favorite for you no matter how many times you've read it and even with wanting a bit more from the conclusion of the story. A book doesn't have to be completely perfect for it to be a favorite, right?

    I agree about Christy not really being a romance! There are romantic elements, but you're so right that it's not really the focus of the book. I confess I wouldn't have minded more interactions with Dr. MacNeill and Christy, "more wooing," as you said! But still, the book is really compelling and touching without it. :)

    Thank you so much for all your wonderful posts and for participating in this read-along! It was awesome to get your insights since you've read the book before. And I always love how you put together your posts and comment on different quotes and scenes! :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.