Monday, April 1, 2013

Invisible by Ginny Yttrup



Four broken people come together and help each other find themselves and appreciate who God made them each to be. 

Ellyn loves the Lord but the voice of Earl constantly batters her heart and mind. Ellyn owns her own restaurant and uses food as a comfort to her soul. Consequently Ellyn is not in the best of health. When Miles shows an interest in her Ellyn once again hears Earl telling her that all men want is one thing, to use her. Ellyn doesn’t see what others including Miles sees in her, a beautiful woman created in the image of God. 

Twila works at the local health food store. Twila is just out of rehab for her eating disorder, she’s in recovery and healing. Twila captures Ellyn’s attention by the tattoo on her face, a tattoo that reminds Twila of the suffering of others. Twila also has a tattoo on her wrist to remind herself that she is created in the image of God. When Twila’s father comes for a visit, all of her hard work may be for nothing unless Twila can remember who she is in Christ.

Sabina has come to the small community to heal. She is suffering from extreme depression. There are days that go by that she cannot even get out of bed to eat. Sabina has lost her faith in God that she had when she was a child, now she denies His very existence. 

Miles’ wife Sarah passed away two years before. He has worked through the grief process and has found solace in his Savior. Miles is now ready to move on. He has taken on a partner in his doctor’s office and because of an interest in Ellyn, has moved her on to the new doctor in the hopes that Ellyn will be willing to explore a relationship with him. 

I love how in the story God uses each one of these broken people to help the other. Ellyn and Sabina form a true and honest friendship. Neither will let the other languish in their brokenness. Their banter and honesty with each other makes for some chuckles in the story. Ellyn and Twila form an unlikely friendship, with Twila helping Ellyn with her health issues and with wisdom dispensed beyond her years. Miles helps Twila by being a father figure to her. Helping her to work through her feelings with her own father and also helping her with her eating disorder. And of course there is Miles and Ellyn’s relationship, so complicated, yet so sweet. Miles is a patient man and Ellyn is definitely attracted to him but with Earl continually battering her self-confidence Ellyn may chase Miles away just like she has done every man in her life. 

Ginny Yttrup has a way of capturing real-life feelings and actions and getting them set into a heart-moving story. INVISIBLE had me wrapped up in each characters story and had me cheering for each victory and crying for each heartbreak. I’ve read one other book by Ginny entitled WORDS, it too is a provocative read. I guarantee that neither of these novels are a waste of time!

I received my review copy from B&H Publishing through NetGalley. This review is my honest opinion.

 

9 comments:

  1. Definitely agree with you Julie that none of her novels are a waste of time! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so good and If Julie says it's good then that's enough for me!Shelia Hall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shelia I don't think you will be disappointed reading Invisible. You should also try her first book Words. Excellent also. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. I really want to read this one. I read Words and was totally blown away by it. Beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate if you liked Words then you definitely will like Invisible. There is something about Ginny's writing that draws you in. I got my copy from NetGalley and I think it is still available to request :)

      Delete
  4. This book seems to be getting a lot of buzz around the blogosphere. :)

    Have you read any good YA lately Julie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the release week for Invisible so that is probably why it is getting a lot of buzz...well, besides the fact that it is amazing! I loved it.

      Sadly I haven't read too many YA's lately. I've kind of gotten out of the more secular books and focused more on the Christian fiction. Mainly because I was getting so disappointed in the language and sexuality of the secular YA. BUT, a good series to check out is the Lunar series by Marissa Meyer. Cinder and Scarlet are EXCELLENT! I also enjoyed The Selection by Kiera Cass. The Elite(second book in the series) comes out in May and it was good too. There are definitely mixed reviews on both for sure. I liked them, but some people didn't care for them. I think it is billed as a Bachelor/Hunger Games series, but I don't see any of the Hunger Games in it as far as violence goes.

      Did you ever read The Host by Stephenie Meyer? The movie just came out and I was quite pleased with it. Much better acting than the Twilight series(although I liked those too).

      I'll be keeping my eye out for good YA to share with you :)

      Delete
    2. And if you haven't read The Heist Society books by Ally Carter those are great too! And her Gallagher Girl books. Love the titles and the stories. In both there are strong female characters. Guess I haven't been languishing too much in YA since all of these titles are coming to mind now. LOL!

      Delete

Comments will appear after approval.