Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Meowmorphosis by Franz Kafka & Coleridge Cook

I have never read any of Franz Kafka's stories so was not familiar with The Metamorphosis. I went online to look it up and get kind of an idea of what it was about. I also read a bit of biography about Franz Kafka to get an idea of what he was like as a writer. So, after doing all of that I then read The Meowmorphosis, Quirk Classics mashup of  Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis.

In The Metamorphosis Gregor Samsa a salesman wakes up one morning turned into a bug of some sort. In The Meowmorphosis mashup Gregor Samsa wakes up as a cute little kitten.

I have to say I just didn't get it. I didn't know what the point of Gregor turning into a bug/or cat was all about. If Kafka was trying to impart some kind of message it was lost on me. My fault I am sure, as I am a pretty black and white kind of person. I want things spelled out for me.

All in all Gregor's life seems pretty depressing. He is evidently supporting his family. It seems that after he turns into a cat his resentment of that comes through. Once he no longer can support them his parents and sister have to find jobs in order to help them survive. They seem to be sunk in hopelessness as they do their jobs. It falls to Gregor's sister to take care of him which she does wholeheartedly at first but then comes to resent.

*SPOILER* Once Gregor passes, his family seem to come out of their funk and their burden is lightened and their hopelessness is lifted. So my question is, "What was the point?"

This is not to say that I didn't like the story. Coleridge Cook did a great job infusing funny little cat antics into the story to make it more amusing. I guess I am just not a fan of Kafka.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after approval.