Monday, January 11, 2010

Let The Sun Shine In...by Jackie Gilmore



Idella is 19 years old. She lives with her mother and grandmother. Her brother is away at college studying to be a missionary. Their father was killed 6 months before by a drunk driver.

Idella and her grandmother have a very strained relationship. Idella is very self-centered. She has no time for older people. Idella gets a job at Treasure Care a mentoring program for troubled young girls. Idella just knows she has wisdom to impart to these girls and put them on the right path. The only problem is she doesn’t seem to connect with the girls that she is assigned. Meredith hardly talks. Valerie is brash and talks too much. Carla seems to be the only one that Idella can relate to. She has the looks, the friends, and she seems to be very spiritual.

The family is facing the trial of the young man that killed their father/husband/son. Will Grandma’s prayers for Idella ever be answered? Will the family be able to forgive the young man? Will Idella see her shallowness and mend her relationship with Grandma? Will she succeed in the mentoring program?

Jackie Gilmore knows how to weave a great story. She draws you into the lives of her characters. I was totally irritated with Idella. I felt the Grandma’s pain. I cried for their loss and for their triumphs. Great first novel and I hope there are more to come!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice...I meant though that the death of the father in the story was like Cassie's death..not my own father. I put this on as a favorite now I had a bit of trouble finding it again..I'm not great with computers ha.....thanks for taking such a great interest in your old momma's dreams...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I corrected it. Does it sound better now? Sorry about that. I didn't think it made sense...

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after approval.